Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

The eagle was not the only avian action at the marsh Sunday afternoon (11/8/15). While I was photographing the eagle in front of the #1 viewing platform, two Anna's hummers were skirmishing behind it.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
No blue sky Tuesday (11/10), nothing but fifty shades of gray. More winter migrants are dribbling back to the waterfront.

Sunset Ave.
Bufflehead
01.JPG

Red-breasted mergansers
02.JPG

Black scoter
03.JPG

Fishing pier.
Bonaparte's gulls
04.JPG

Red-necked grebes
05.JPG

looks like you didn't have any better light than i did, Bill... i've never seen a red-necked grebe! do they like country music and PBR?? ;)

Several birds were very close to the fishing pier, but shots were difficult due to the poor light. I should have been shooting with the 5DIII instead of the 7DII as the former handles high ISO settings better than the latter.

Bonaparte's gull
06.JPG

common murre
07.JPG

rhinoceros auklet
08.JPG

09.JPG

red-necked grebe
10.JPG

nice series... did you by chance see the humpbacks last week? i was talking to a gal up at Stanwood today who said there were a pair of them that breached and splashed around within a hundred yards or so of the pier... sure would love to have seen that!!

nice series... did you by chance see the humpbacks last week? i was talking to a gal up at Stanwood today who said there were a pair of them that breached and splashed around within a hundred yards or so of the pier... sure would love to have seen that!!

I did not see them, but heard about them from several people who did. There was also a pod of orcas farther out in the Sound at the same time.

looks like you didn't have any better light than i did, Bill... i've never seen a red-necked grebe! do they like country music and PBR?? ;)

There are usually one or two off the fishing pier every winter. You can recognize them by the Confederate flags and NASCAR logos tattooed on their backs.

The Olympic Mountains and Mt. Baker finally got snow. Friday (11/20) at the marina I experimented with small aperature settings in an attempt to get the mountains and birds in focus.

f/13.0
01.JPG

f/20.0
02.JPG

f/32.0
03.JPG

f/8.0
04.JPG

Last edited:
I think the kingfisher stole the show, Bill :). My take on the snow-covered Olympics, is that especially with bird shots in the foreground, I would rather see the background blurred anyway.

Terry

Dexter, my backyard Anna's hummingbird, was hitting the feeder Saturday (11/21/15) morning. Although I keep two feeders on my back deck filled year round, the hummers don't show any interest in them until the onset of cooler weather in late October or early November.

Perched on a rhodie.
01.JPG

Backlighting provided some artistic shots.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Later that afternoon I went down to the fishing pier. It is that time of year when direct sunlight is coming in at a very low angle and can blow out the white feathers of birds. Negative exposure compensation may be necessary.

Common murre
06.JPG

Bonaparte's gull. Named after a nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte.
07.JPG

Red-breasted mergansers have finally returned.
08.JPG

Harbor seal pup.
09.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday (11/25) was a beautiful, sunny day. My photography started with a trip to Sprague Pond at Minipark in Lynnwood while my son was working out at the gym. All of these shots were taken with -1 exposure compensation due to the bright sunlight coming in at a low angle.

Pied-billed grebe.
01.JPG

Male & female buffleheads.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Male & female northern shovelers, one of my favorite ducks.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Next stop was the Edmonds marina and fishing pier. These were also shot using negative exposure compensation.

A juvenile surf scoter was swimming by itself off the fishing pier. It was somewhat unusual to see a lone surf scoter as they usually travel in flotillas.
06.JPG

A double-crested cormorant ate lunch below the fishing pier.
07.JPG

A red-breasted merganser makes a water landing.
08.JPG

I have often heard that kingfishers are very skittish and difficult to photograph. I think the marina's resident pair is habituated to people. The female posed for several minutes on one of the salmon sculptors mounted on the breakwater near the walkway to the fishing pier. Several people on the walkway stopped to look at the kingfisher, which did not bother it in the least.
09.JPG

The day concluded at the marsh, where two snipes were in the muddy waterway off the #1 viewing platform. The photo was taken with no exposure compensation as the snipe was in the shadows. I used Picasa's auto contrast feature because I was looking straight into the sun with its attendant glare when I took the photo.
10.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday (12/3) I may have seen a male Eurasian green-winged teal at the marsh.

Check the male green-winged teal on the right side of the photo.
01.JPG

Closer cropping.
02.JPG

Very close cropping. Notice the lack of a vertical white stripe and the yellow pin-striping that separates the blue and red colors on the head.
03.JPG

04.JPG

looks like a Eurasian to me... didn't you see one like this down there last year?

I did, only that one was much closer. It was swimming in that small mudflat/pool of water just off the boardwalk between the #2 and #1 viewing platforms. It did not mind several of us photographing it from the boardwalk.

Late Tuesday (12-8) afternoon ("late" afternoon being any time after lunch but before the 4:16pm sunset), Daren and I went to check the water level at the marsh. After several days of rain, the marsh now qualifies as "Lake Edmonds."

It was getting dark and raining; but a lone, small duck caught my attention as I headed back to the pickup. I assumed it was a green-winged teal that was swimming at the north end of the marsh due to the high water. I really perked up when I failed to see a vertical white body stripe ahead of the wing. Yes, it was a (the?) male Eurasian green-winged teal. I got a few shots in the rapidly diminishing daylight.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back