Recent content by Dave Cowell

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. Dave Cowell

Just a sparrow?

Looks to me like a female Black-headed Grosbeak, so Patricia might be a better name choice ;)
  2. Dave Cowell

Unexpected Surprise

Cool! I don't think it's a merlin though. I think it's either a sharp-shinned or a coopers hawk and I'm leaning towards sharp-shinned. I have a horrible time differentiating between those two accipiters though, so I could very well be wrong. Dave
  3. Dave Cowell

Eagles in Western Washington?

There have been tons of eagles lining the river at Nisqually NWR lately due to the salmon running, upwards of 60 eagles at a time. They're not the easiest birds to shoot because they're typically 1/4 mile away, but when they are active you can get in on some good action. Dave
  4. Dave Cowell

Up Close with Short-eared Owls

Very nice, Bill! Are these the Rawlins road owls? I had zero luck with them there last year. I need to make it up there some time this year for the geese and eagles...and preferably sooner rather than later ;) I'd rather not clip wing tips for the same reasons as Max. If the photo works with...
  5. Dave Cowell

My daughters new friend

How unfortunate that she was mistreated! She looks like nice dog. Nice to here she's living in a better place now, as well! Dave
  6. Dave Cowell

Birds in Flight suggestions: Seattle area

If the species doesn't matter, I say any place that attracts a lot of canada geese or gulls. They're perfect subjects for this, relatively large, slow and fly in somewhat predictable patterns. Nisqually get thousands of geese in the fall & winter, but obviously it's going to be a while before...
  7. Dave Cowell

Washington State Ferry HDR

I prefer the second one as well, the sky is a little too purple for my tastes now though ;) In advance, please forgive the long response, I started typing and just couldn't stop :rolleyes: When I shot film I made the choice of what film I bought, in doing so I choose the look I wanted in the...
  8. Dave Cowell

So a Beetle and a Chipmunk walk into a bar

Cool little beetle with sweet colors! BTW, the second one is a golden-mantled ground squirrel. While they are similar in appearance, the squirrel is around 2 times the size of a chipmunk and doesn't have the stripes running up the sides of its head ;) Dave
  9. Dave Cowell

Seabeck Eagle

Thank you, Bill! It was good to hang out and catch up with each other.....oh yeah, the eagles were fun, as well LOL. Nice shot! Dave
  10. Dave Cowell

sweet light and a marsh wren

Little chatter box birds. Nice photos, Rocky! Dave
  11. Dave Cowell

A few hummers and my shooting setup

Well if you cheat then so do I, or used to anyways. I had a pop up blind that I'd sit in before one of the fiberglass poles broke on it. The hummingbirds you get appear to be much more cooperative than the ones we get here. They always get into fights here and immediately try to chase one...
  12. Dave Cowell

Yard birds

Nice series. The poofy evening grosbeak is really sweet. We just started getting black-headed here at the house...just in time for my camera/lens to be being sent back to Nikon to correct some on going issues :( Hopefully It'll be back before they leave. Hope things improve with your wife...
  13. Dave Cowell

Marsh Wren and RWBB

Checked the pond yesterday and still no baby ducks :( I bet they are in there though.... dave
  14. Dave Cowell

Common Yellowthroat

There ya go! Super nice shots, Bill! There were several in the same spot yesterday the cooperated with me for a little while, also had a surprise visitor stop by briefly while I was waiting for the yellow throats to show themselves.... Dave
  15. Dave Cowell

Marsh Wren and RWBB

Nice stuff, Bill! Was a little surprised not to see the common yellowthroat though, the photo you showed me on your LCD looked fabulous! Dave
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com