Recent content by Scottpix

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. S

Model release

Yes, you can sell those images from an event. For example, I once did a shoot for Nordstroms, where Sarah Jessica Parker was signing perfume bottles for a new perfume being introduced. I was there at the invitation of Nordstroms (so no permission issues). We sold hundreds of photos of her...
  2. S

Model release

Public or private property has little bearing on the need for a model release. The need for a model release is based solely on the end use of the image. The location where the image was taken is irrelevant. Where the private property comes in to play is in the ability to take photos in the...
  3. S

Model release

A small clarification: the need for a model release has nothing whatsoever to do with the photographer making money from selling the image. It has to do with commercial exploitation of the privacy rights of the model. Lets say I take a great photo of Ichiro Suzuki at a game. I can sell that...
  4. S

Wedding Photo help!!!

Insurance isn't a bad idea. Wedding photographers are sued by more clients than any other genre of photography, and by a wide margin. Expectations of performance are very high, stress is very high, the expense of putting on a wedding is very high, and there are NO do-overs. This is why many...
  5. S

Wedding Photo help!!!

There are a few shots that are common to almost all weddings that you MUST get: - walking down the isle - first time groom sees bride - the ring - first kiss - cutting the cake Nearly everything else is secondary. Go visit the venue ahead of time so you can get a feel of the layout...
  6. S

High School Football Photography

I remember shooting high school football when I was in high school in the late 1970s. I used black & white 400 ASA (now called ISO) film, and push processed it to 1600. It had grain like boulders. It wasn't butter smooth, but I got the shots. You can essentially do the same now with digital...
  7. S

Panorama software and work flow

I confess I'm old school. So take my answer with that in mind. I still have a Hasselblad XPan panoramic camera, although I rarely use it any more. Q#1: When I do digital panoramic photos, I just use Photoshop to stitch them. It really isn't difficult. My workflow begins when I'm shooting, to...
  8. S

Purchasing a new Canon Lens??? Help???

I own both the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 100-400. I use both for different things. In part, it depends on what other lenses you already own. If you already have a 24-70 f/2.8, for example, then the logical match is the 70-200mm. You're already used to the f/2.8, and if you got the 100-400, you'd...
  9. S

a nice little waterfall

I like Rocky's better. First, it appears Rocky used a polarizer and Bob did not. I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like. As a result, Rocky's greens are richer and less reflective, and the surface of the pool is less reflective, giving that a richer tone too. This is also carried...
  10. S

Snoqualmie Falls Webcam

Awesome. Very helpful. I go up there once in a blue moon, and never know what the water will look like until I get there. This will be great for planning, or deciding whether it is worth going up or not. Thanks!
  11. S

Seattle Fireworks - Where to shoot?

This was shot several years ago from a condo on Capitol Hill. Advantage: the wind was, in fact, blowing north, which would have obscured the view from QA hill. Advantage: The balcony had an overhang, so I would have stayed dry if it were raining (it wasn't that time). Advantage: I...
  12. S

Seattle New Years Eve - Where to shoot?

This was shot several years ago from a condo on Capitol Hill. Advantage: the wind was, in fact, blowing north, which would have obscured the view from QA hill. Advantage: The balcony had an overhang, so I would have stayed dry if it were raining (it wasn't that time). Advantage: I...
  13. S

The Lunar eclipse has started

Rats. I was hoping I'd be able to shoot this. I kept going out an looking every 15 minutes for about an hour before/after, but the clouds were too thick. I got nothing. :-(
  14. S

Annie Leibovitz and Robert Mapplethorpe at my studio

There will be an art show in my studio this Friday (one evening only). Original photos by Robert Mapplethorpe and Annie Leibovitz will be the headliners at the GSBA Art Preview. It is free and open to the public. Feel free to come if you want. Art Preview for the Taste of GSBA Auction...
  15. S

Macro Photography

I have the Canon 100mm macro and 180mm macro. I've used the 50mm macro. The 50mm is too short for a lot of macro use. To get close enough to the subject, the lens actually ends up shading the subject. If you are trying to shoot bugs, that is close enough to scare them off. The 100mm is...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back