White-rumped sandpiper

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another rarity for the PNW is the white-rumped sandpiper, normally found in the east and midwest, and very rarely seen west of the Rockies. This one was spotted in Gearhart, OR... a friend and I went to find it this afternoon and were rewarded with some good looks.

WRSA is bringing up the rear in this photo...

MG_3381_crop_sm.jpg

In this shot, he's in the lead...

MG_3387_crop_sm.jpg

Here he is on the ground...

MG_3484_crop_sm.jpg

Very cool! What are the main distinguishing factors for the white rumped vs the normal sandpipers? It is purely the white rump area? I don't think I would have ever noticed this guy in a flock of Sandpipers.

Very cool! What are the main distinguishing factors for the white rumped vs the normal sandpipers? It is purely the white rump area? I don't think I would have ever noticed this guy in a flock of Sandpipers.

Look at the flight shots. Start with the bird's neck and follow its back all the way to the tail feathers. You will see a large white area just before reaching the tail feathers. The other sandpipers are solid brown in that same area. I probably would have missed it as well.

Thanks, guys! I certainly would have missed it, but the person I went with is an avid birder and explained the difference to me. When on the ground, they're very hard to tell apart - the main differences are the slightly orange lower mandible and a longer tail. In fllight, like Bill mentioned, the white rump shows. I probably wouldn't have gone to see this on my own, but I was invited to go along, so...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back