Edmonds Eagles 2018-2020

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The city manager of Mountlake Terrace asked if the city could use one of my eagle photos for the city's new website. I could not find any suitable photos of the Lake Ballinger pair in my archives, so my family and I went over to Lake Ballinger Sunday afternoon (11-11-18) hoping to find them on their spar. Only one was present when we first arrived.

IMG_0001.jpg

The second one flew in after I began shooting.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son and I saw no eagles when we drove around Pt. Edwards Monday afternoon (11-12-18), but one was perched on the family tree after we arrived at the marsh.

01.jpg

We walked out on the fishing pier and heard the screeching of gulls, which signaled the arrival of the eagle at the marina.

02.jpg

I have heard the term "ambush predator" when referring to large cats like lions and cheetahs, which hide in the brush, then stalk and run down their prey. I wonder if ambush predator would apply to an eagle.

The eagle took off from its perch and flew very low over the Sound.

03.jpg

It approached a floating bird from behind.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the bird had any cognizance of the approaching eagle, it was too late.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

It was difficult to identify the prey as the eagle toted it back to shore.

10.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday afternoon (11-13-18) the alarm cries of gulls at the marina alerted me to an oncoming eagle.

01.jpg

The eagle flew over the marsh and perched on the tall spar on the fish hatchery grounds where I have photographed them in the past drying off after a bath in Willow Creek.

02.jpg

The eagle appeared to be eating something it had been carrying.

03.jpg

I was going to drive over to the hatchery for some closer shots, but got distracted by a flock of red-winged blackbirds. By the time the blackbirds flew off, the eagle had finished eating.

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I was at the marsh Friday afternoon (11-23-18), the Pt. Edwards pair was screeching it up from their tree atop Pine St. Construction of the new condos below the tree has not bothered them, although the condos are not yet occupied.

01.jpg

02.jpg

The larger size of the female (left) can clearly be seen in this photo.

03.jpg

This is the pair's season for R&R before they begin work on producing new offspring next year.

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched on the piling near the ferry terminal Saturday afternoon (11-24-18). It made a couple of flyovers and swoops between the fishing pier and ferry dock.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

One bird floating on the water was not about to be dinner and dove under.

04.jpg

The eagle returned to its perch and did some screeching.

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few minutes later the eagle made two close flybys past the fishing pier before heading south. I think it may have been looking for bait thrown out into the water by crab fishermen who were getting ready to leave for the day.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It landed in the boat yard on the other side of the railroad tracks.....

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

then took off with something in its talons and flew south around Pt. Edwards.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
An eagle perched atop the spar at Hutt Park Tuesday afternoon (12-4-18). Taken from a long ways away at the marina with the 7DII + 500L tel;ephoto + 2x III teleconverter.

IMG_0001.jpg

The Hutt Park pair is currently a mystery. They had a nest in Hutt Park, then abandoned it 4-5 years ago and built another one about two blocks north in a tree in someone's backyard. That nest produced eaglets for a year or two, then it was abandoned as well. I think the pair is still in the area, but I don't know where the nest is.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow. Isn't that a couple miles away?

Yes it is. The Canon 7DII + 500L telephoto lens+ 2x III teleconverter gives me a full frame equivalent focal length of 1600mm (32x in mirrorless camera terms).

My usual super telephoto setup is my Canon 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens+ 2x III teleconverter, which gives me 1000mm focal length or 20x. I only use the crop frame 7DII with the super telephoto set-up on very sunny days as it cannot handle high ISO settings like my full frame 5DIII.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday afternoon (12-18-18) what looked like a three year old sub adult flew over the Sound off Sunset Ave., scattering some birds that were floating on the water in the process. I was eating lunch in my pickup and could only get some grab shots after it flew over me heading northeast.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday afternoon (12-30-18 ) my son and I went down to Marina Beach Park to look for dunlin. I trained the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter about a mile south south for any eagles perched on the structures at Pt. Wells, a place where I have photographed them in the past.

If you look hard, you can see an eagle perched on a mast or light pole. I don't know if it is one of the pair that has the nest at Deer Creek or yet another pair that nests along the Sound somewhere south of Woodway.

IMG_0001.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards pair flew by and perched in a tree on the bluff just south of the off leash dog park.

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A juvie eagle flew over the snow covered waterfront Saturday (2-9-19) morning.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

It or another one just like it made several passes over Sunset Ave. later in the afternoon. The branches in the tree are indicative of how bad the wind was.

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday afternoon (2-17-19) the Pt. Edwards eagles were back at their perch on the tree at the top of Pine St. So far the new condos directly below the tree has not bothered them, but I don't believe the condo complex is fully occupied as of yet. I did see what may be some new residents out photographing the pair.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (2-20-19) an adult and two juvies flew southbound over Sunset Ave. while I was sitting in my pickup. I jumped out in time for some shots.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A pair of adults was perched in a tree on Hanna Park Rd. off Caspers St. at the north end of Sunset Ave.

IMG_0004.jpg

Gotta go!

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

It's lonely at the top.

IMG_0008.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday morning (2-21-19) I was giving my son and I gave my wife the Edmonds eagle tour while we were waiting for her car to get out of the shop. One of the Pt. Edwards pair was perched in a tree off Pine St. downhill of the new condos.

01.jpg

I thought I saw one circling over the marsh, but it was just a red-tailed hawk, a winter visitor to Edmonds.

02.jpg

03.jpg

My son and I finishes the day photographing birds and trains at Brackett's Landing North. I used the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2.0x III teleconverter to photograph a northbound train approaching Picnic Pt. It wasn't until I got home and looked at the photos on the computer that I saw an eagle surrounded by crows on the Shell Creek spit.

Lead engines.

04.jpg

This is the rear of the train. The rear "helper" engines are remote controled by radio by the engineer in the lead engine.

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (3-13-19) I was following up on an eagle sighting by a friend when I spotted this sub adult perched in a tall fir on Hanna Park Rd., which is near Sunset Ave. I am guessing it is a third year bird.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com