PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

fiznatty

I thought I had shared these photos here, but I guess I forgot.

In August, Jenn and I went to Tonga to swim with humpback whales. It's a trip I'd been planning for some time, but then was forced to reschedule from October because of the WPY stuff. The trip was a lot of fun, though going earlier probably affected our visibility quite a bit. It was very challenging to come up with decent pictures because of the amount of particles (mainly blooming algae) in the water... plus, the whales move really fast and I'm not a great underwater photographer!

I posted a small gallery of pictures on my website. A short preview is below.

One of our early encounters, which does a pretty good job showing how close a whale can swim to you. This fin was inches away from my camera. You can also see how much algae was in the water at times.
whalehumpback0819tonga62.jpg

Our best encounters were on Day 1...
whalehumpback0819tonga78.jpg

...which also happened to be our only day swimming with moms and calves.
whalehumpback0819tonga23.jpg

In addition to humpbacks, we were fortunate to swim with two species of dolphins, a sailfish, a silky shark, and a pod of false killer whales (shown here).
whalefalsekiller0819tonga13.jpg

Converting images to black and white actually helps quite a bit with getting rid of some of the particles and noise. And it can often enhance the dramatic tones of an image.
whalehumpback0819tonga149.jpg

On one of our late swims, we were swimming above a pair of whales that were apparently sleeping on the bottom, when one suddenly gave two quick flicks of its tail and zoomed toward the surface. I had envisioned this moment prior to the trip, so I followed it up and thrust the camera out of the water as it breached. Despite a partially-fogged dome, this shot actually came out!
whalehumpback0819tonga164.jpg

View the full Tonga 2019 gallery here.

Max

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com