Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

1. Bill Anderson

Turkey vulture

Handsome in the sense that they are remarkably evolved to feed on carrion.
  2. Bill Anderson

Critters of the Edmonds Marsh

As a matter of default, I primarily photograph birds at the Edmonds (WA) marsh since they are its most prevalent and visible wildlife. Bird photos now have their own forum, so I'm going to start this thread in the WIldlife and Animals forum as a one-stop shop for photos of all non avian photos...
  3. Bill Anderson

Birds of Edmonds, WA. 2019

Late Sunday afternoon (8-11-19) it clouded up to the point that I might get photos of shorebirds at the marsh without the distortion caused by heart waves and glare off the mud. High tide helped as well. I believe this is a flock of western sandpipers. A birder friend who was at the marsh...
  4. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2019

I removed the 1.4x TC and shot with just the 500L telephoto. One of my shots (not posted) taken with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom looked just as good, but I wanted to use the tripod mounted 5DIII + 500L so I could relax in my new lawn chair (a Father's Day present from my daughter) and...
  5. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2019

Both birds took off before I could swap TCs but they returned shortly. These shots were taken with the 1.4x III TC. One bird returned to the open upper branch... while its sibling returned to the lower branches. The 1.4x III TC still put me too close to get both birds in one photo.
  6. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2019

Sunday (8-11-19) I drove back up to Pt. Edwards to check on the eaglets. One was perched in the sentry tree where it was shortly joined by its sibling. The bird on the upper branch did a little wing flapping. The above shots were taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x III...
  7. Bill Anderson

Saturday afternnoon (8-10-19) I went down to the marsh to look for shore birds. A flock of sandpipers flew out of the marsh and headed north towards Brackett's Landing. Two Anna's hummingbirds were chasing each other in the tree above the #2 viewing platform. I got a photos of one. I don't...
  8. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2019

After perching on the gable for an hour and a half, the eaglet finally took off and headed west toward the Sound. Going.... Going..... Gone. I never did see the second eaglet, although I may have heard it reply to its sibling's cries from the trees east of the houses.
  9. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2019

I wanted some take-off shots and was prepared to wait out Junior. There was one false alarm. The eaglet looked as though it was going to take off, but only changed positions on the gable.
  10. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2019

Saturday afternoon (8-10-19) I finally caught one of the Pt. Edwards eaglets out of its nest. I had seen it flying and thought it was perched in the trees behind the gazillion $$$$$ houses that line the street where the nest is located. Much to my surprise it was perched on the gable of one of...
  11. Bill Anderson

A great Day for Freedom

Standard procedure is to post the video on a hosting service like You Tube, then copy and paste a link to the video to a post on this site.
  12. Bill Anderson

Several herons were at the marsh. One was near the #2 viewing platform.... while another was perched in a tree on the south side above Willow Creek. Heron action. Close up shots of the birds can make one forget that the marsh is in the middle of urbania.
  13. Bill Anderson

Edmonds Eagles 2018-2019

If the Pt. Edward eaglets have fledged, they are not doing it while I am in the area. The two babies were at their usual location in the nest tree with one of them begging for food. Photo from the back (south) side of the nest. One of the parents, perched on the family down the the street...
  14. Bill Anderson

Marsh hare 6-20-18

2019 update: The marsh hares are reproducing like rabbits. A young one was present near the walkway Thursday afternoon (8-8-19). I had never seen one at the marsh until 2017. I think the coyotes are getting lazy.
  15. Bill Anderson

Daren and I went back to the marsh Thursday afternoon (8-8-19). It was overcast, so I hoped to get better photos of the sandpipers without the heat waves and glare of a sunny day. While the weather cooperated, the birds did not as they remained on the far side of the marsh. With their...
  16. Bill Anderson

For the locals in the audience: For the past few years, Terry and I have presented exhibits of our bird photos in conjunction with the annual Puget Sound Bird Fest in Edmonds. http://pugetsoundbirdfest.com/ The theme of this year's Bird Fest is shore birds. The star of our photo exhibit is...
  17. Bill Anderson

Wednesday evening (8-7-19) near sunset my son and I went down to the marsh. The fall migration has started as evidenced by a small flock of sandpipers in the mud flat on the far side. They were too far away for good photos, even with the 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter. A few...
  18. Bill Anderson

We have all seen crows harassing and chasing raptors. I have only seen two birds turn the tables and chase crows: redwing blackbirds defending their nesting areas and a peregrine falcon. Thursday (8-2-19) I saw a small bird chasing and harassing a crow along the beach below Sunset Ave...
  19. Bill Anderson

Back Yard Birds

Flickers like to eat ants, which is why you may see them on the ground.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com