Search results

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. E

Dragonflies 2015

I think you all inspired me to take a walk shooting some macro stuff tomorrow.
  2. E

Edmonds Fireworks Show 7-4-15

Bill, there's a bit of 'haloing' around the Sound but I like the composition a lot. Unique among the many fireworks shots out there.
  3. E

Kyrgyzstan

61) I woke up early for sunrise in Bishkek. I love getting up early and walking around when it's quiet. Not even the drunks are up at 7am. 62) Plants like these produce hot water, heat and electricity for the city. They are all coal-powered so by late morning in winter the entire city...
  4. E

Kyrgyzstan

Back from vacation and time to catch up on some photos... A couple photos from Issyk-Ata, a Soviet-style resort in the mountains near the capital city of Bishkek. More photos on the blog as always: http://wp.me/p5bwRq-XI 59) The view up the valley from the end of the road in the resort...
  5. E

Kyrgyzstan

Quite a few but they are making up a smaller percentage of the population as time goes on. Especially in the capitol there are quite a few left and many only speak Russian. In the South there are a lot of Uzbek and Tajiks too.
  6. E

Kyrgyzstan

A few shots from Bishkek, the capitol of Kyrgyzstan. There are more shots from this trip at the bottom of this blog post. 55) One of my favorite spots in Bishkek is the new Putin Pub. The logo is so funny 56) On this night they had a live band, they call this Karaoke Night...
  7. E

Kyrgyzstan

51) Relics of the past. A bust of 'Father' Lenin and a mural depicting the boating industry the Soviets created here. 52) The boat-building yards. The boat-building industry has been dead for nearly three decades 53) A greenhouse grand opening. This is part of a large...
  8. E

Kyrgyzstan

Thanks, and I will. My Close of Service date is July 2016. Unless something drastic happens I'll be here until then. I have a lot of other travel planned during this time (German, Balkans, maybe Russia & Finland, Turkey, etc) and we'll probably travel for 3 months or so on the way home...
  9. E

Kyrgyzstan

48) Before winter came, we went for a 3 day hike in Bala Chychkan (Little Mouse) Valley. Besides being a beautiful valley, it never receives tourists so we were met by many curious people. 49) This valley had the friendliest people I've met in Kyrgystan. This woman insisted we come...
  10. E

Kyrgyzstan

45) Riding my bike around the desert near my home I found something unusual but no longer surprising after living here. This bust of Lenin may seem out of place but Kyrgystan is littered with statues and other monuments to the former Soviet leader. 46) This is one of many abandoned...
  11. E

Kyrgyzstan

41) If you like abandoned building, you'll love Kyrgyzstan, they're everywhere. Some where in the process of being build during the fall of the USSR and construction never resumed such as this one. 42) A friend examines strange graffiti left behind 43) Some of the cool...
  12. E

Kyrgyzstan

Yes, but not around me unfortunately and things went so quickly from summer to winter I missed the colors. Next year I'll plan on being in a better location.
  13. E

Kyrgyzstan

It's been a bit, more photos... The following are from Jeti-Oguz, a beautiful area in South East Issyk Kul. The name means '7 bulls,' so-called because of 7 huge red rocks you see as you enter the valley. 35) A small waterfall we hiked to, it seems to be the most popular destination for...
  14. E

Kyrgyzstan

32) The beautiful Ala Archa valley. This is the only true National Park in Kyrgyzstan (others are listed as such but aren't really the same designation.) Located just 30 minutes from the capital, this is the most popular hiking/climbing destination in the country. 33) I loved how...
  15. E

Kyrgyzstan

This system does indeed connect to the rest of Europe and Asia. There is only one main line in Kyrgyzstan, this connects up to Almaty in Kazakhstan. From there you can access everything. If you enjoy railroads I should have many photos from them over the next two years. I plan on taking...
  16. E

Kyrgyzstan

28) Summer camps are a big part of most Peace Corps posts, Kyrgyz Republic is no different. Many summer camps are held around the country, some are just for kids to have fun and learn about America. Others tack difficult or culturally sensitive topics such as Bride-Knapping, safe sex and...
  17. E

Kyrgyzstan

Kyrgyz (the language I'm learning) is the only official language of the Kyrgyz Republic now. From the time of it's separation from the USSR until 2011, Russian and Kyrgyz were both official. Especially over the last 5 years there has been a push to make Kyrgyz the dominant language and from I...
  18. E

Kyrgyzstan

More photos, as always, click on any photo for more photos & stories from the area. 22) A great hangout spot I go to with my little brother 23) I haven't had a chance to capture it well yet but the night skies here are incredible 24) We had a chance to explore the Altyn Arashan...
  19. E

Southeastern US Road Trip

20) Had to find good Cuban food while in Miami 21) Perfect weather for an outdoor party 22) One more incredible sunset
  20. E

Southeastern US Road Trip

14) This was our tour guide while visiting the Hemingway House. A bit of an odd guy but seemed fitting there. 15) Sunset from the southernmost point of the US 16) Huge numbers of nesting birds on Dry Tortugas National Park 17) One of the six old halls in Fort Jefferson on...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back