A few 'desert' birds shots from a recent trip to Palm Desert

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Terry O

Thanks to all of the water/golf courses, the Palm Desert/Palm Springs area is an oasis for birds. Here's a few of the better shots I took during the week of February 17th (my 81st) :)

All shots taken with the Canon 5Diii and 400 mm f5.6L - mostly 1/1250s and low ISOs, thank to the light!! All hand held.
(best resolution if you click on the image).

A Black-crowned Night Heron - often they hang out at a local Palm Desert Park with lots of attractive ponds

2-13-2018 Black-crowned Night Heron_4456.JPG

And a Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron in the same area

2-13-2018 juventil black-crowned Night Heron_4469.JPG

To my amazement I captured a couple of shots of a female Kestrel perched near the top of a very tall palm tree - looks like it might be a nest

2-13-2018 female American Kestrel IMG_4503.JPG

2-13-2018 Black-crowned Night Heron_4499.JPG

And a new bird for me, but common in the desert - a Verdin (thanks to Cornell Ornithology app for the ID)

2-15-2018 Verdin_4611.JPG

Really nice series, Terry! I'd love to get a black-crowned night heron someday... such cool looking birds!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back