a pretty little waterfall

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
going through some old shots, and came across this lovely little waterfall. for the life of me, i don't recall its name, or even its exact location - only that it's somewhere on the south side of Mt. Rainier National Park. taken with my 40D and Tammy 17-35 @ 17mm, 1/6 sec @ f/14... if i can figure out where this is, i'll go back next summer and shoot it again, and this time, i'll write down where it is!

IMG3292orton800.jpg

I'd be interested to know where that one is, it's not one I recognise and the rock formations are quite nice.

I'd be interested to know where that one is, it's not one I recognise and the rock formations are quite nice.

Bob,
i checked with a fellow that runs a website cataloging NW waterfalls, and found out that it's the uppermost of several falls on Sunbeam Creek. this spot is right along the Stevens Canyon Road in Mt. Rainier park.

That is a beautiful fall and the slow shutter makes it pure magic. Great shot!

Ah, Upper Sunbeam Falls... It looks so much prettier in your shot that I didn't recognize it! :)

Here it is in the spring, with a greater flow, and no motion blur. The higher volume of water pretty much hides all the interesting rock formations, while your shot, with the lesser flow, really shows them off well. Amazing how different the two shots look. It goes to prove that just because you've shot a location once, that doesn't mean you can't find something new the next time. (Bob makes a mental note to visit that one again when it's not flowing so fast...)

This is indeed a nice waterfall, and acess is quite easy.

View attachment 1850

Here's the waterfall database entry on that one:
http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/waterfall.php?num=981

Wow! What a great example of how lighting and shutter speeds can drastically change a scene.

Wow! What a great example of how lighting and shutter speeds can drastically change a scene.

Yes, amazing isn't it! The water flow is also a big difference though, look at the top edge of the falls. In my shot the entire width has water flowing, on the other one there is plenty of exposed rock. Had I done the motion blur trick on mine, it would simply have been a big white blur, not the pretty fountain effect you see in the other shot.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back