Adjustment layers in PS.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had an image that somebody thought would look better as a sepia but then that sent me down an experimental road. I thought I'd share the results. It was fun to see the different moods of one photo.

The original image -
4099852350_5468ede2a5_o.jpg

Sepia (photo filter layer with a custom sepia color applied and 65% Density with adjustments to the saturation and levels layers)
4104940208_ab6a98d9d8_o.jpg

B&W (Using Gradient Map)
4104940018_679d4ac53e_o.jpg

Partial de-saturation (Using the same Gradient Map as above but changing the opacity to 75%)
4104992216_4640e3a80b_o.jpg

fake tritone (B&W adding a color balance layer changing the Hug/saturation of highlights and shadows) I call this a fake tritone because a real tritone is done with a black and white on a press using three different inks.
4104940392_59176c3f5f_o.jpg

Lastly not done with layers but in camera raw. Split toning (don't have the settings I just played with the sliders until I got the look I liked)
4104175321_5a6c1bd43b_o.jpg

A nice set of how much adjustments can change an image. I think my favorite non-natural states would be the partial desaturation and the B&W versions. :)

I go back and forth on my favorite. I think I like the partial de-saturation and the split toning because it reminds me a bit of an old faded colored print as well as the grapevines are more distinct in this over others.

I am not a fan of Sepia except in some certain images. I would never have considered this image as a candidate and still don't. But it was great to try the other adjustments.

I've got a new program I'm playing with and really like it. It's called Nik Silver Efx Pro. It does a really nice job, and has a ton of options.

Here's the default B&W conversion, no adjustments or tweaks on my part. Keep in mind that this was created from the web jpg, so it may look even better if it was from the original.

View attachment 1630

i like the partial desaturation... makes it look a little like the early color film. add a little noise, and you'd have a color photo from the 1950's...

Thanks Bob, it is nice to have another plug-in available to smooth the workflow. This is a fine image. It's too bad it is another $200 for the plug in, not to mention any upgrades that might be needed later.

I'd rather first take the time to learn what PS can do and master that, then consider adding filters. Also, my output would be better with those tools once I know the principles of making those adjustments initially in PS. I'm sure I'd think differently if I was a pro.

I think good photos can be made without additional expense to an already expensive software. I had hoped to show people who have just begun PS some of the tools available in PS so they can begin to have fun with it and explore some of its potential.

Sorry, I just got on a soapbox I think.:rolleyes:

Janice, I use that program as a shortcut because I don't have time to learn how to tweak all the settings and stuff in PS to get results as good as I'd get from this program.

It's pretty much a "one trick pony" in that all it does is B&W conversions. But it does them very well, and very easily. To get the shot I posted here took one click. The program has several nice presets to start with, and then you can go from there adjusting and fine tuning if you'd like. It even does stuff like add grain to the image to simulate film.

So essentially I'm paying somebody else to create a script that will provide the results I'm looking for and make it easier for me. This isn't for Photoshop Pros so much as it is for Photoshop Dummies ("click here to get a nice looking result...")

I think good photos can be made without additional expense to an already expensive software.

Yes. I would totally agree. You can, if you put enough time and effort into learning how it works, get results just as good as you'd get with this program, if not better. There's nothing it can't do that you can't do on your own.

As with most things, there's more than one way to reach the same final result. I wasn't saying it was the only answer or even the best answer, just another option.

I have to admit plug ins are my friends for many images. The thing I have found is that I have spent money on cool software but with the purchase of one good Photoshop book I have been able to actually match some of those effects in just a couple steps. And actually have a better result or at least as good.

For example the black and white was just so easy. If I wanted to do nothing I got an acceptable result by selecting a gradient adjustment and voila, a very nice B&W then simply by adding a gray middle tone and adjusting the slider I could easily tweak the grays in the image. With no learning curve at all. Each of the above images were first time attempts at using these available filters.

I'm glad you showed this as an option it fills a need that is just one thing to consider for our toolboxes . I know I use both plug-ins and PS both. But I am now finding myself getting less excited about spending money on software and rather save it for good lenses and filters. Signs of the times I guess.

Janice, I too use my PS (CS4) almost exclusively with a few exceptions to salvage really poorly lit shots with Photomatix or Redynamix and with both, I STILL rely on layers in PS to get what I want....not what it wants.

If you know of a decent PS plug-in or PS action for tonemapping, let me know.

My favorite B&W layers is a Photoshop IR/BW action created by 'Gorman' that I downloaded (thanks to Ross Fotheringham of Trackside Photography). It is amazing. One click of the play button and I get a nice high contrast B&W.

1: Image exactly as my camera got it.

2: Layer default B&W with a little levels adjustment (all PS).

3: Using the Gorman Action (all PS) to create a more Infrared styled BW.

View attachment 1641

View attachment 1642

View attachment 1643

The third is particularly stunning. I googled the Gorman Action. Thanks for that tip. I really need to start using the actions palette more. I used it a long time ago when I was doing production work and have totally forgotten about that.

I'm trying to place this shot. I see the Palmer Snowfield but the point of view is throwing me off. Is this east of the parking lot at Timberline?

The whole tone mapping thing is hard for me to get my head around that. I do have a couple apps for that that I'm going to start working with as well as experimenting with PS. So if I get an image that I like I'll share it. Somebody on another website thought the same photo that I used above would again a good experiment. A project down the road.

Yes. It is the east side of the parking lot there.

My tone mapping ap's tell me that there HAS to be an action process possible for tonemapping types of results. I have seen manual PS instructions for it. I might even try creating an action....if I ever get time. Oh wait! I have most of next week off. Hmmmm

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back