Adobe Lightroom 3

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Hello everyone, I use Adobe Lightroom 3 for editing my photographs and I was wondering how to do HDR to my photographs. I have looked it up and different places say you have to download an HDR program but I am not sure if you have to do that. Is HDR built in for Adobe Lightroom 3? Could someone let me know how to create HDR or how to use it. Thanks

SublimitySam

I'm not an HDRist but I believe you can't do HDR without software that does layers (PSE, PS, or CS) because HDR is the process of combining multiple images of different exposures. LR doesn't do layers, but a compatible plug-in such as Topaz (and others) may come close with simulated HDR.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Sam's correct. You can't do HDR in Lightroom itself.

That said, some programs can be integrated with Lightroom. For example, on my computer, there are two options in Lightroom "Export to HDR Efex Pro" and "Export to Photomatix Pro" That exports the image(s) you've selected to the program you choose. When you're done, the new HDR image will show up in Lightroom.

The integration works well, and it's nice to be able to use LR to select the images you want to work on. However, you do need to buy a seperate program.

As far as HDR goes, Photomatix is the current market leader, and for good reason. I'd suggest downloading the trial version and giving it a shot. HDR Efex Pro is also quite good too, and I find that I get more realistic and natural looking images with it.

The new version of Photoshop, CS5, apparently does a much better job than its predecessors. Due to the cost, I haven't upgraded yet, so I haven't tried it. I have heard good things about it though.

ront

I use Photomatx for my HDR work. I have tried the trial of HDR Efex Pro and would like to get it also, but it is a bit expensive.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Not to be rude, but ever heard of Google? http://www.google.com/search?q=hdr+photography+tutorial.

There is so much information available on the net such as HDR tutorials, videos, examples, etc, that it's kind of silly for anyone in the forum to try to repeat it all . . .

Also, if you are looking for some good Lightroom tutorials, this is a great source. There are dozens and dozens of free videos available: http://lightroomkillertips.com/

Google? Yeah, that's the place where you type in "Lightroom" and get links to 400 sites all trying to sell you the latest version?

You seem to have overlooked the reason this forum exists. We're all about information and helping folks. No need to chase folks away and suggest they go someplace else. The question was totally appropiate and exactly the kind of info the forum is designed to provide.

We were able to quickly and easily answer his question, and suggest some programs. If you want to use Google instead, that's fine, but please don't discourage others from asking questions here!

Last edited:

climbbike

My point is, people are going to be more willing (and able) to help, if you help yourself first and ask slightly less generic questions. It's almost like asking "how do I use my camera" . . . just too generic to cover in any sort of short response.

Anyhow, a good tutorial: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

And there are a lot of good HDR blog entries here with some great examples of HDR images that for the most part are not over-cooked: http://albertdebruijn.com/home/places/hdr (there are few that go a little to far for my tastes)

ront

I, for one, do not mind trying to help someone with any question, if I can. The whole photography thing can be very confusing and daunting. If I can help someone understand just a bit better, I feel I owe it to the ones that have helped me in the past!!

Ron

Last edited:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
My point is, people are going to be more willing (and able) to help, if you help yourself first and ask slightly less generic questions. It's almost like asking "how do I use my camera" . . . just too generic to cover in any sort of short response.

Anyhow, a good tutorial: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

And there are a lot of good HDR blog entries here with some great examples of HDR images that for the most part are not over-cooked: http://albertdebruijn.com/home/places/hdr (there are few that go a little to far for my tastes)

Did you miss this part of his question?

Is HDR built in for Adobe Lightroom 3?

Seems pretty specific to me... The answer wasn't too difficult either. "No".

His post is titled "Adobe Lightroom 3", and when you take it in that light, the questions regarding whether you need a program and how you do HDR were specific to Lightroom, not generic.

Had HDR been built into LR, we might have replied "You select the images you want to merge, and then click...." In fact, once you install Photomatix plug in, that's exactly how it works.

While you can't do HDR in Lightroom without an add-in program, you can do it in Photoshop, so it was a reasonable question to ask.

BTW, should somebody come in and ask "How do I use my camera" we'd also be willing to help them. That would be the "discussion" part of the Discussion Forum. :)

Last edited:

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Photomatix Pro was an early market leader and it's definitely the dominant player in the field.

I'm finding that I prefer HDR Efex Pro though, at least for more realistic renderings. It creates HDR images that don't appear to be HDR.

Photomatix can do that too, but what it's best at is shots like this one: It's over-saturated and looks a bit radioactive, but sometimes that's what folks want in an HDR. If that's what you have in mind, Photomatix will easily do it.

I don't like what it does to the sky, or how the color and light changes around the edges. You can, of course, adjust all of that, but HDR Efex has a lot of presets that help you start off close to what you want the result to be.

View attachment 5256

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com