Alki Lighthouse

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

climbbike

I didn't get quite the sky I wanted but it wasn't bad. The lighthouse is actually on private property so you have to walk down the beach and take photos from outside the fence.

p362402941-4.png

All feedback welcome . . .

I like the sky and the lighthouse, too bad there is so much other stuff going on around the main building. Id consider using a longer lens to get around that pole in the front and fill the frame more with the lighthouse...

the, what looks like some kind of weather instrument, pole is unfortunate, but like the overall composition. The image does seem a bit underexposed, but since this is a sunset, not sure if this was intentional.

I like the shot, and think it looks pretty good. The weather gear isn't pretty, but it's part of the scene, so I'm OK with it.

As for being a bit dark, I'm pretty sure it's a (well done) HDR shot, and they can get a bit dark like that.

Here is a brighter version. And yes, it's an HDR. I keep the HDR touch pretty light though. If people don't know, or aren't sure, if it's HDR, that's perfect.

p895391573-5.png

HDR is High Dynamic Range. It's taking multiple photos with different exposures (often 2 to 4 stops over exposed, normal exposure and 2 to 4 stops underexposed) and putting them altogether. Often in a scene, the difference between the brightest areas and darkest areas are too great for the camera to get in a single exposure, so it's a way to overcome this problem. For example, in this photos, the sunset is so bright that if you expose for that, the building is almost entirely in shadow. Or if you expose for the buidling, the sunset is so bright, it gets blown out and you don't see the colors of the sunset.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back