Another one for C&C

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

I don't know why, but the photos I took during my recent week on Vancouver Island seem to have resulted in more than my usual share of post-processing problem children. :confused: This early sunrise shot from the hotel room window in Victoria is no exception. I can't decide whether it needs to be darker or lighter. And I'm really not sure about how the sky came out.

Any thoughts?

I would say lighten it some, This is my wifes home country btw, she lived in Sidney up north a ways, close to Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal between Sidney and Tsawwassen. would like to tinker with this over the weekend but betting by then someone will have a good lighten on this photo, Ok with me, only thing I have to make changes is what ever is built into Windows 7...

Last edited:

NinaS

Super Moderator
Staff member
let's see, to your left is the Empress Hotel? and to your right is the Coho/Blackball Ferry?

layer it? lighten the bottom and keep the sky and buildings as is
maybe a wider crop? seems odd at this crop

Another try - improvement?

Actually Nina, the Empress Hotel is the building half-visible on the extreme right. The Coho ferry terminal is just to the left in the foregorund.

Here is a lightened version that seems to better capture the ssoft feel of the pre-sunrise light. What do you think? I'll also look at cropping something from the bottom.

daveRen

turned out great

This turned out to be a good shot of my home town, Mike. Too bad the Empress didn't have a little more light on it, but I think you really can't push it past where you did. Anyway I think the dark city gives a real "very morning feel". "The coffee done yet?"

Tony S

This might work out better if you had taken multiple shots to work with as a HDR proccessed image. Lightening up the dark areas like they are on the second one doesn't quite have the quality I think you were looking for.

I love shooting in Victoria, very lovely city to get photos in. It's especially good at night. The last time I was there I think I spent about 4 hours out shooting after dark with some interesting shots.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com