Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge 6-1-2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son Daren participated in the weekend's Special Olympics state track meet at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma. We left home Friday morning in order to avoid the afternoon's horrific rush hour traffic. After checking into the motel at Dupont and eating lunch, we toured the Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Billy_Frank_Jr_Nisqually/

Barn swallows were flying around the pond in front of the gift shop and refuge office.
01.jpg

We did the short Twin Barn Loop so Daren would not be get too tired for the track meet on Saturday and Sunday. Lots of birds were singing in the wooded portions of the trail, but I only got photos of cedar waxwings,
02.jpg

a western wood-pewee(?),
03.jpg

and a Swainson's thrush.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
A large pond covered over with water lilies held two turtles,
06.jpg

07.jpg

a rather large frog,
08.jpg

and a mother duck clearing a path through the lilies for her ducklings.
09.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
A flicker was taking a dust bath on a section of a gravel road.
11.jpg

The refuge was originally a farm. This rather interesting stump may have been one of the trees that was felled to clear the land.
12.jpg

I wonder what made these patterns.

13.jpg

14.jpg

It looks like an ancient watch tower guarding the boardwalk.
15.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos Bill. The Cedar Waxwing is striking, I don't recall ever seeing one down here, but I haven't really looked either. Now I will pay attention since a bird reference I have indicates they range here. I wonder if I put out chopped apples or raisins that would attract them as the book suggests?

I have never seen waxwings at my seed feeders. There is a plant up here that produces a berry they love.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back