Bob's Best 2010

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I had a really hard time narrowing down my picks. I had a fun year, and got some shots I really like. Here's a sample, with comments. You may have seen some of these before, as I posted a lot of them to the forum.

Let's start with the obvious, transportation. I took a lot of train photos, but I'm only goingh to post a couple samples.

Night photo session at Mineral, WA on the MRSR

View attachment 4919

Geared tripleheader, featuring rare logging locomotives. This one was published in Railfan and Railroad magazine.

View attachment 4920

I also got hooked on the Tall Ships again this summer, following them all around Puget Sound and taking lots of photos. They make for such great subjects. I became friend with the crew of the Hawaiin Chieftain and they were quite helpful in getting photos.

View attachment 4921

View attachment 4922

The last shot is from the STP bicycle classic, I had fun taking pan photos of the riders.

View attachment 4923

Last edited:
I also enjoy photographing animals, both wildlife and in the various zoos in the Northwest. Since I don't have a 400 mm lens, the ones in the zoo typically make better photo subjects since you can get closer to them. Here's a few samples.

View attachment 4924

I like how the leopard looks like he's ready to pounce. I was glad there was a thick pane of glass between us, since I wasn't sure what he was up to...

View attachment 4925

View attachment 4926

This shot is a favorite of mine. The cloud of steam you can see is the Lion's roar in the cold winter air.

View attachment 4927

Special bonus shot. While I prefer scenic and landscape shots, I do occasionally photograph people. This was one of my favorites images from 2010.

You have had a really productive year. The transportation shots are great. The first one of two trains is may favorite in that category.

I like this quote, "Since I don't have a 400 mm lens, the ones in the zoo typically make better photo subjects since you can get closer to them." They also make better subjects because they are less likely to eat you :rolleyes: Great catch of the puff of lion roar.

You went to some beautiful places too. Thanks for sharing your year.

Superb, Bob, just superb.

Every one of these is a contest winner. I especially liked the second tall ship shot, it has a shimmery quality and yet is so clear it is like looking thru rarefied air. Your animal shots are magical. The leopard has the face of my late great cat Tiger.... it is like looking at a ghost. Thanks for all of these. Just outstanding. C.

P.S. I especially love the lighthouse shots and the musician. Elegant.

P.P.S. Good on you for not trying to get the wing out of your air shots. It really adds interest.... I don't think I would have thought of it.

Last edited:
wow... that leopard shot is spectacular! he looks seriously displeased... that "power glower", with the ears back... pretty clear he's warning you to get out of his space! love the lion and eagle shots as well! and there's a shot from Ecola Point that looks kinda familiar as well... ;)

Thamks Rocky. I really liked that look. Not sure what caused it, and I was real interested to see what would happen next. Was he going to charge up to the glass, snarl at me, what?

As it turned out, nothing happened. I was waiting for him to pounce or lunge at something, but he didn't. He quickly relaxed again, and ignored me and everyone else. I don't know if the lens bothered him (some folks say they look like eyse to animals, but it's only a 70-200 so it's not like it's huge) or if it was something else. I was in the normal public viewing area, and plenty of people wander through there all day long. In fact, there were lots of other people there as I shot the photos.

He sure seemed to be staring directly at me, and as you mention, he obviously wasn't happy, that look isn't exactly "Hello Kitty". :)

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back