bringin' home supper

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
an osprey with half a flounder, approaching the nest... 7D, 100-400 @ 400mm, 1/1600 @ f/8...

BringinHomeSuppersm_zps10992640.jpg

Terry O

Great timing Rocky! Where were you for this shot? Looks like it is landing right in your pocket!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great timing Rocky! Where were you for this shot? Looks like it is landing right in your pocket!

thanks, Terry! this was taken near an osprey nest in North Everett, on the other side of the river from Dagmar's Landing. there's a nest on a pole there, and this was taken from about 20 yards from the base of the pole. the pole is at the corner of a parking area, right next to the river, and i just drove up and rolled down my window, and sat and waited... and waited.. and waited...

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info, Rocky. The waiting thing is our job, I guess :)

yeah... kinda goes with the territory. the osprey have been using that nest since about 2006, i believe, so they should be back there pretty shortly. this shot was taken in late summer, and the young 'uns were fully fledged and stretching their wings - almost as big as mom. they should be getting the nest ready about now, i'll have to go have a look next time i get out that way.

i found that the adults get a little agitated if you get out and walk around, especially if there are babies in the nest, but they're much calmer if i sit in the car with the windows down - doesn't seem to get them as worked up. if you'd like, i can take you there once the weather gets nicer, and i know they're back at the nest...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com