Bumble Bee

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday (6-27-18) I experimented with insect photography at Mini Park/Sprague Pond in Lynn. Taken with my 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom @ 400mm & f/16. I would appreciate hearing from any insect photographers in the audience regarding macro lenses and aperture settings.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

John999R

I think macro shooting would be a lot of fun and add some variety to your photography. A whole new miniature world is out there with a multitude of fascinating creatures to take pictures of. I looked sparingly into getting a Canon Macro lens and at the time the 100mm f/2.8 was mentioned a lot. There are two versions, the more affordable one and the L version, the former produced some fantastic images from what I have seen and that is what I was considering at the time, even used. The camera articulating LCD screen comes in really handy and it looks like a third party ring flash could be useful in dark conditions. If you took pictures of "Brother Buzz" with the 100mm f/2.8 you will resolve tiny features impossible to see otherwise, amazing.

I found a link on macro lenses associated with the B&H advertisement for the Canon 100mm f/2.8 lens. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/macro-lens

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, John. My son has a doctor's appointment this afternoon and we usualy stop at Kenmore Camera on the way. I'll take a look at that Canon 100mm marcro.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com