Canon 2x III Teleconverter

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recently purchased a used 2x III teleconverter from Kenmore Camera. I traded in my series II, which I never used because the images were soft.

Wednesday evening (7-25-18). I went to a local osprey nest to shoot using the new/used teleconverter with my 500L telephoto lens and three main cameras. This is about what the nest looks like from the street.

01 City Wide nest.jpg

1Dx slightly cropped My 1Dx has chronic dirty sensor problems and is not a good camera to use with a light background and small aperture settings.
I cropped just enough to eliminate the offending black dots.

02 1Dx uncropped.jpg

1Dx cropped

03 1Dx cropped.jpg

5DIII uncropped

04 5DIII uncropped.jpg

5DIII cropped

05 5DIII cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am very impressed with the 2x III teleconverter. As far as I know, the series III is Canon's latest model. It gives much sharper images than my old 2x II TC.

The largest aperture opening with functioning auto focus in all three cameras is f/8. This can limit the use of a 2x TC with the 7DII to sunny days and lower ISO settings due to its crop frame sensor. The 1Dx and 5DIII have full frame sensors.

The teleconverter drastically cuts down the available auto focus points of my 4.0/500L telephoto lens.

ChrisP

I am very impressed with the 2x III teleconverter. As far as I know, the series III is Canon's latest model. It gives much sharper images than my old 2x II TC.

The largest aperture opening with functioning auto focus in all three cameras is f/8. This can limit the use of a 2x TC with the 7DII to sunny days and lower ISO settings due to its crop frame sensor. The 1Dx and 5DIII have full frame sensors.

The teleconverter drastically cuts down the available auto focus points of my 4.0/500L telephoto lens.
Hi Bill,

I have a 500mm L IS first series and a 2x TC II. Do you have the IS version? I have found that the 2x performs well sharpness wise at closer subjects say within 50-100ft but seems a bit soft at longer distances like 200-300ft and beyond. Images are not unusable but after your comment about the version 2x III I’m wondering if I should upgrade to the III. I do know that atmospheric conditions can play a roll but really wondering if it’s the converter lens combo in this case. Curious your thoughts on this. Thanks

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many series of 500L telephotos have been made? I bought mine used at Kenmore Camera and don't believe it is the newest series.

Here are last year's photos of the swallow-tailed gull that I took at the Edmonds marina. These were taken with the 500L + 1.4x TC.

01.jpg

02.jpg

These were taken with the 500L telephoto + 2x II TC. You can see how soft they are compare to the photos of the osprey in the nest. The gull was farther away than the osprey, but not atypical of distances I photograph many birds.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The complete series of photos can be seen seen on this thread. Looking at all of my photos of the swallow-tailed gull taken over two days, I don't believe heat waves were a factor. http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php?threads/wildlife-of-edmonds-wa-2017.14796/page-10

I don't believe I used the 2x II TC after that.

Last edited:

ChrisP

They made a 500mm non IS that was a f4.5, Then in the late 90's they came out with the 500mm f4 L IS, then late 2000's the f4 IS II. I saw in your post that you have a L series f4 so we probably have the same lens. Ironically the gull photos are what my shots can look like especially over 150ft, I have run the micro focus adjustments and it seems to be accurate so I'm thinking it may be time to grab a 2x III. Thanks for sharing the gull photos for comparison.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Terry and I have 4.0/500L telephoto lenses. He says they are both series II lenses, which would be the model that came out in the late 90's. Terry also has a 2x II TC. After seeing my photos, he also agrees the series III is much better.

I used to keep my 1.4x III "permanently" attached to my 4.0/500L telephoto lens. I'll replace it with the 2x III and keep the 1.4x handy in case the 2x gets me too close.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com