Car Show

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

CNelson

I don’t normally go to car shows but went to one the other day with my camera gear. I felt like a coyote in a hen house…didn’t know where to start. Lots of great cars to shoot but I found a car show is not the best place to shoot cars as they are jammed together and people are everywhere so it’s difficult to get a clear shot let alone a a good angle. To compensate I did various things in post processing to minimize the background clutter and let the cars stand out. I shot a lot of HDR and used a lot of Topaz on the backgrounds. There are a lot more on my website but here are five of my favorites.

Chuck

p755976213-3.jpg

p282869465-3.jpg

p593204296-3.jpg

p968617529-3.jpg

p1028624556-3.jpg

I do several car shows a year and you are right... they are just nasty for getting good whole car shots. I concentrate on the details like hood ornaments and other close ups.

I do like the treatments you did on this and it does help detract from the distractions of a show. However, if all that background junk were gone these shots treated like this would cause the car to really stand out.

Oh.... 3 Fords and a 40 Chevy (the green one) :)

Very interesting manipulation, how’d you get the backgrounds to look like commercial painting style from the 70s? I'd love to get that filter myself...

Great digital art/photograph mixes. I could easily imagine a few of these in commercial use.

Thank you all for the kind words. I am inspired to visit another car show and expand on this concept. I would really like to shoot some of these cars away from the crowd to make a more aesthetic scene....but we do what we can don't we.

Chuck

Chuck... Find a local car club and is if you can get any of its members to do a photo shoot. Offer a nice print and you should be able to get a couple of guys with cars. Find a nice setting so you got a spot to shoot. Or maybe the car owners place depending on their setting. Go to the club meeting and get the names and phone numbers of those interested and call those people. Maybe even offer to design a calendar that they can print and sell to their members.

If you need ideas on how to find local clubs, just ask. Or if you have other questions I have lots of ideas. :)

Get there early!

One way to ensure you get some high-quality shots is to get there painfully early.. or what I call "Stupid-thirty"...

Usually shows have one entry point. As cars roll through, when they see someone with lots of camera gear, 10 out of 10 times they'll do a courtesy stop for you.

That way you'll have a good sun angle and people that are fresh and excited. (Plus there's no dust whatsoever on the cars... different story at the end of the day.)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back