Chad's 2013 Photo Highlights

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

A look back at some of my favorite shots from 2013. These are in no particular order, I'm going to mix it up to keep it fun!

The Holiday Express, taken in mid December. I used this image for my Christmas cards. I found it interesting, when I did a Flickr search I didn't see any photos taken from this vantage point.
7231501_orig.jpg

Nothing all that ground breaking here but, I feel that these are two solid shots of a freezing Multnomah Falls...
3918811_orig.jpg

4834345_orig.jpg

Here's a first. The first reported Harris's Sparrow in Multnomah County's history. I read the report and went to search for a needle in the haystack and found it!
3340265_orig.jpg

2940653_orig.jpg

I saw one of my favorite rock bands this summer. Here's Blue Oyster Cult bringing even more cowbell to Ridgefield Washington!
1612110_orig.jpg

805822_orig.jpg

2025877_orig.jpg

9797057_orig.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to mix it up to keep it fun!

Here's some more.

This one was taken at the Portland Japanese Garden
243130_orig.jpg

A scene from a recent autumn morning stroll at Laurelhurst Park in Portland
2097693_orig.jpg

Canada Goose with fall colors reflecting on the water at Scott Park in Milwaukie, Oregon
6488605_orig.jpg

9653422_orig.jpg

Black Phoebe at the Tualatin River Wildlife Refuge
885915_orig.jpg

Another memorable one. I was at the TRNWR one night during the spring, photographing everything. I had been there for a couple of hours and dusk had started to set in and I was heading back to the parking area when all of the sudden out of no where, way off in the distance and moving in closer, here comes mute swan! Wow! I really don't expect to see Mute Swans there again anytime soon, but what a moment!
8667052_orig.jpg

6980951_orig.jpg

5753040_orig.jpg

Here's another unforgettable one; on two consecutive occasions during the springtime I saw a mandarin duck in the creek at Tryon Creek State Park.
2153648_orig.jpg

4186364_orig.jpg

The question that I have, is that a female Mandarin duck with the male or is it a female wood duck ??? Wood and Mandarin females look very similar. I'm leaning towards a Female Mandarin because of a longer, skinnier neck and the darker area on the beak. This one is probably the best shot that I have of the female. These birds are very skid-dish and have no interest in having their pictures taken. All of my shots of the Mandarin(s) were taken from quite a ways away.
2609588_orig.jpg

I'm rounding off my 'Best of 2013 List' with owls.

Living in the Pacific Northwest, I have spent nearly most of my field time focusing on owls. Owls are considered as a nocturnal bird, sleeping during the day and failing to be detected by predators, they use the cloak of camouflaged feathers.

The owls that I have photographed are all-business and if you show respect for wildlife, they acknowledge you by looking straight in the eyes. If you have a camera they may let you take a picture.
9018501_orig.jpg

7683069_orig.jpg

8180774_orig.jpg

Barred owls are nocturnal but nesting season is a different story. Adults hunt around the clock, they provide food for the nest, while eating prey for continuous energy in their endeavor.
5505371_orig.jpg

The Owlets
1723390_orig.jpg

5308167_orig.jpg

1878471_orig.jpg

What's Next?
1426352_orig.jpg

5863935_orig.jpg

There are daytime owls. This was the first Pygmy owl that I photographed
6678466_orig.jpg

By the middle of January Great Horned Owls are courting. If you have a line on Great Horned owls in your neighborhood, backyard or local park and you have the energy, look up and listen around dusk, you can see and hear them.
8552553_orig.jpg

8423777_orig.jpg

There were two Great Horned owlets in the nest at Tryon Creek State Park in Oregon last year. This particular nest was nearly 100 feet up in a tree. The tree was probably a couple hundred feet off trail and growing up from a ravine. I was there this past week and the nest looks pretty well vacant and matted down. I'm thinking that they may be use a different nesting site this year.

This photo was taken during the last week of March
4562845_orig.jpg

Although not the first time seeing a Western Screech Owl, this was my first time seeing one totally awake. I took these photos in November at Oaks Bottom Preserve in Sellwood, OR.
8144476_orig.jpg

9765830_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back