Cheetah at the Oregon Zoo

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Cheetahs, which should not be confused with Leopards :) are large members of the cat family. They're unique for a couple reasons, they're the fastest land animal, and they lack the ability to climb.

The Oregon Zoo in Portland has a very nice Cheetah exhibit, with a natural looking enclosure. Unfortunately, all of the viewing areas are behind glass. This has the advantage of avoiding the problem of the cat mistaking a guest as dinner, but it has the disadvantage of having glare, smudges, and reflections that can make photography difficult. (See my other thread about my auto-focus having issues with either the Cheetah's spots and/or the glass.)

After doing some shopping in Portland, we decided to visit the zoo for the afternoon. We figured it wouldn't be too crowded, after all this is January, and it was already about 2:30 and the zoo closes at 5:00. Boy were we wrong! It took about 15 minutes to get a parking spot, the place was packed.

At the entrance to the zoo, I noticed a sign confirming what I already knew. The zoo train was shut down until spring for maintenance. Normally, this would deter me from visiting, but we have a season pass, and my wife told me that she had heard that they actually have animals there too as well as having a railroad. I figured this was a good time to investigate that rumor... (OK, I have actually seen the rest of the zoo before, but I will also freely admit that most of my zoo photography involves the trains.)

We decided to visit the new Africa section, since it had not been open the last time we visited. The lions are now back on display, as well as the Cheetah and several other animals I don't recall at the moment.

much better this time around, Bob! ;)

cheetahs can't climb? huh. learn somethin' new every day! then again, their habitat is the wide open veldt or savannah, and there's not much to climb out there, but there IS lots of room to stretch their legs chasing down prey!

> much better this time around, Bob! ;)

Yes, when the autofocus wasn't confused they came out pretty good.

> Cheetahs can't climb? huh.

Well, that's what Wikipedia says at least. Since I'm the guy who was recently calling this Cheetah a Leopard, it's pretty obvious I'm not an expert on them...

Actually, they can climb. Just not very well, as they don't have retractile claws. They have been observed in low trees, where they don't have to actually climb as do cats. They leap into the branches and wander about to find a supporting limb or crotch in which to laze about. (The Wild Animal Park in San Diego had a couple of them.)

Pops

"they don't have retractile claws"

you mean their claws are out all the time? i would think that would be good for climbing...

Their claws are just like nails on a dog. They grip the running surface for better traction and higher speed but do not have the grasping capability for climbing. When they do any climbing it is usually more jumping or hopping that gets them there.

It was a Nikon 80-200 2.8. It's a very sharp lens, and they do a pretty good job of keeping the glass clean. The simulated cave also helps reduce reflections, at least on an overcast day. I'd still much prefer to have an un-obstructed view, but it seems like more and more of the cages are going to all glass viewing. Apparently having your tiger eat guests is bad publicity.

Great shots especially considering your shooting through glass. I haven't been to the zoo in a long time. They've always remained fairly hidden when I have been there. Looks like they have not missed any meals.

Bob:

Hope you don't mind! I ran one of your images through my Velvia Vision Plugin. I've found that among other things, it's great for improving images shot through glass.

Code:
Steve, I don't mind at all.

To be honest, I was being lazy and simply dumped the shot right out of lightroom with no post. Lightroom isn't perfect at Nikon Raw files and often ends up de-saturating them, especially in the reds.

There's a lot of color there. Simply opening it in Capture NX gives me a far more rich shot. Just a touch of increased saturation results in this shot: (Maybe a bit TOO saturated, the grass is awfully bright, but you get the idea...)

View attachment 2185

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back