Christmas Butterfly

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
After several hours of kitty and puppy wrangling with Nina I had a chance to get behind the camera an shoot a couple portraits of real star.

Thank you Nina for my first Dog Portrait.

5209827757_1a88bc309e_b.jpg

Christmas Card perfect ... what a cutie :)
now I'll have to look over my shoulder, u done good!
how did you get that doggie to stay still?

my only nit is that the pic is too tall, I have to scroll to see it all .... normally 600 - 800px tall is more than enough for web display

Christmas Card perfect ... what a cutie Newt looks good no matter what. No wonder you want to smuggle him home.

now I'll have to look over my shoulder, u done good! I'm pretty proud of him, but you have no worries, you set him up :)

how did you get that doggie to stay still? Newt is a pro.

my only nit is that the pic is too tall, I have to scroll to see it all .... normally 600 - 800px tall is more than enough for web display He fit on my display, but I'll do it smaller next time.

Can't wait until the next time.

When do we see some of yours, especially the wild cats?

So cute...how do you get a dog to pose? I have chihuahua I'd love to do a portrait of her but everytime I aim the camera at her she licks her butt :/. This shot is fantastic :)

The only way to do it is to hire a professional dog photographer. They go to "dog whisperer" school for 7 years (Ok it's really 7 dog years) to learn the Ninja like tricks of photographing dogs. I know where you can find one... :)

OK, Nina and Janice can explain it better, and fill in the holes, since they've shot a lot more portraits, but here's the basics. You have a "dog wrangler" who works with the dog, and gets him into position etc. Another assistant and/or the owner get the dogs attention by whistling, holding up a toy or treat, making an interesting noise, whatever works. which can vary from moment to moment.

The photographer, who has already done some test shots to make sure the lighting is good etc, stands by with her finger on the trigger, just waiting for the instant the dog is posed. You don't need long, which is good, since you often don't get it either. :)

Sometimes with puppies, they'll have several wranglers, they get them ready, jump out of the way and click before they do what puppies do naturally, wander off in random directions etc.

Patience, persistence, and working together all help. Hopefully the dog cooperates, as that's the real factor in the whole thing. Experience helps too of course, and a natural affinity to working with dogs.

well, actually Bob ...

I picked the little guy up, posed him in the sleigh, told him to stay, walked away and let Janice take shots ... he never budged :)

my secret? I shoot well trained dogs 98% of the time, so sit/stay is expected
work on your training or get an assistant and a peice of fishing line

Hmmmmmm a wrangler or a well trained dog..I have neither so I'll go to Harbor Freight and invest in some clear wire and industrial strength double sticky tape.

with a bag of soft dog treats, you can teach any dog to sit/stay in just a few minutes

I've done it to client dogs when they aren't looking, and get them to stay long enough for me to take their portrait without the owners even in the room LOL

only You are responsible for what your dog gets away with :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back