common merganser

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
this little fella was rather obliging and came in close enough for some nice shots at the park yesterday. i watched him for about half an hour, as he caught himself a nice fat little catfish and spent the better part of 20 minutes fussing with it until he got it into position, then - gulp! - it was gone! :D 40D, 400mm, 1/1000 @ f/8...

IMG_1621sm.jpg

IMG_1644sm.jpg

IMG_1663_sm.jpg

Very nice series. What I found interesting was not only that he gulped that down (I assume in one gulp) but that there are catfish up here. Catfishing is popular where I relocated from and I haven't heard a single person in my office mention doing it in the 2 years I have been here. :)

Is the Mergansser a local or a migratory visitor from further up north?

Nice shots! Hard to believe he could actually swallow that fish, especially since it's a catfish, which seem to have barbs and generally be tough fish. Wonder if he's got indigestion?

Very nice series. What I found interesting was not only that he gulped that down (I assume in one gulp) but that there are catfish up here. Catfishing is popular where I relocated from and I haven't heard a single person in my office mention doing it in the 2 years I have been here. :)

Is the Mergansser a local or a migratory visitor from further up north?

they only seem to be around in winter, so i suspect they come from farther up north... the lake has catfish, carp, bass and trout, as well as salmon during the spawning season, and lots of little 3-spined sticklebacks in the reeds along the shore...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back