Do you shoot video with your DSLR?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Do you shoot video

• Yes, I shoot video with my DSLR quite often

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Yes, I shoot video with my DSLR but only rarely

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Yes, I shoot video with a dedicated videocamera

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Yes, I shoot video with my Point and Shoot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, my DSLR doesn't have that function

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • No, my camera can shoot it, but I'm not interested yet

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

Dave Cowell

Someone talked about Movie Maker, I do have that and its on Windows 7-64bit. I should try it out.

It's pretty basic in its application, but that's not necessarily a bad thing ;)

Not knowing how the situation in Japan is going to affect the release of a D400, I decided to finally just get a D300s. I shot some video with it down at Nisqually Yesterday and put this video together with Movie Maker when I got home. I think it came out OK and it looks very nice at full resolution.

[YOUTUBE]uBt7toCbdAg[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly, I believe video in DSLRs is here to stay and that more and more publishers/people are going to be not just wanting it, but expecting it. I personally don't understand why there's so much resistance to it, but that's just me :D

Dave

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I believe video in DSLRs is here to stay and that more and more publishers/people are going to be not just wanting it, but expecting it. I personally don't understand why there's so much resistance to it, but that's just me :D

Dave

I see a couple of problems with it...

At the moment, video in DSLR's is a bit of a "kludge", an add-on product that works, but has limitations. For example, the auto-focus on some cameras doesn't work in video mode once you start recording. There are also limits on the amount of time you can record, and battery life.

Most folks who shoot high end DSLRs are picky about their photography. If they weren't, they'd be using a point and shoot instead. So these limitations can be frustrating to them.

Others folks, including myself at the moment, don't want to shoot video. That being the case, I'd rather not pay for something I'm not going to use. Also, I don't know if the video functions have any negative impact on my still photographs. I want those to be the best quality possible, and I don't want anything that is going to take away from that.

Meanwhile, if I do want to shoot video, I'll go buy a dedicated video camera. They're specifically designed for video, and at least for now, they have features and functions you don't get in DSLR videocams.

I expect this will change before too long. Maybe the two will merge into one body that can do both, and shoot HDR in hi-res 3D too, I don't know. We'll see what happens.

Dave Cowell

Oh I see problems with it as well and totally agree that it has some serious limitations, Bob. The little video I have shot with an SLR has felt awkward and clumsy. It’s not very intuitive or easy to use, but honestly neither is my little Handycam. Getting the best out of a video specific camera takes as much as getting the best out of a still camera. I’m not saying people who don’t want or use video in a DSLR are silly or wrong or anything. I, personally, just don’t understand why there is so much resistance to it. I guess it’s kind of like the when digital first started to get popular. Lots of naysaers (I was one of them) out there saying it’ll never work or won’t be as good, look at us now. With the increasing growth of multimedia, I think this is just a natural progression of the medium(s). We just all have different desires, uses and expectations.

I will say that when traveling it'll be nice not to have to carry around all the associated stuff to support both of them both (Chargers, batteries, cables etc). For me, it's very nice to have it all in one package and have the option to shoot either when I want with out having to carry around two different systems. I'm especially eager to shoot more video with my long lenses and play with the shallow DOF etc. Needless to say I’m very excited to play around and see what new fun things it might open for me.

To each their own!
Dave

JDueckPhoto

I thought this was interesting so I'll post:

I met up with some old friends last week that now work on a crew shooting movies, short movie clips for video games, and full-length commercials. They work mostly in LA and around Oregon. They said they now use DSLRs for video because they cost a lot less than professional camera equipment and they are much more portable. He said movies still use the big equipment more but shorter video clips (imagine organizing hours of video on CF cards) are easier to shoot with a DSLR.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com