Dragonflies 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post your 2014 dragonfly photos here.

Janine and I saw this one at the marsh Thursday (7/10/14). Janine knew its name, which I have forgotten.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Joemeche

Dragonflies you say?

8SpotSkimmer.jpg
Eight Spotted Skimmer

BlueEyedSunriseSmC.jpg
Blue-eyed Darner

CardMeadowhawkThree.jpg
Cardinal Meadowhawk

Last edited by a moderator:

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
here are some of my dragons...

8-spotted skimmer...

IMG_0277sm_zpscce9b768.jpg

blue darner...

IMG_9397_zps5567af05.jpg

not sure what species this is...

IMG_8893sm_filtered_zps564f3204.jpg

Chad: what camera/lens combo were you using to get those amazing closeups?
Bill: I was using my Canon Powershot SX50 HS. Commonly referred to as a bridge camera, the camera has a fixed lens. It's billed as a 50x zoom (24mm - 1200mm)

I saw the subject on the top of the bird feeder, grabbed my camera went outside and shot a number of shots from 10 to 15ft. and noticed as I kept getting closer that it could care less about my presence so, I set the camera to macro mode with a focal length of 15.86mm. I was less than a foot away when I took these shots, some were no further than 6" away.

Chad

Last edited:
On Tuesday I caught this Tule Bluet couple in 'Tandem.' After males and females have mated, the male stays attached to the female, as she oviposits in the stems of bulrushes. They are in their tandem position.

I watched these two doing the tandem behavior for over 40 minutes before they took off to where ever. Flying back and forth in a small area of bulrush for the entire time, they would spend the majority of the time on the stems depositing the eggs.
2637596_orig.jpg

2155268_orig.jpg

3118125_orig.jpg

6473509_orig.jpg

8734354_orig.jpg

3442417_orig.jpg

4089655_orig.jpg

Chad

^^ Thank you, Bill!

Took these photos yesterday. Which Darner do you think this is? I think I know but, I would like to see if I can find a positive ID.
3818526_orig.jpg

6387521_orig.jpg

2396951_orig.jpg

Chad

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
very impressive, especially for a fixed-lens camera! the bokeh isn't great, due to the small sensor, but the clarity and sharpness are amazing! great job catching these guys in flight - i haven't managed that in a couple of years!

very impressive, especially for a fixed-lens camera! the bokeh isn't great, due to the small sensor, but the clarity and sharpness are amazing! great job catching these guys in flight - i haven't managed that in a couple of years!

~ Rocky

Thank you for the input, Rocky. This was actually the affect that I was going for in these particular shots today. There's different types of bokeh, which type are you thinking about?

I tell ya, I was shooting just above the dragonflies, standing on a bridge and have shots from today with them in-flight with sharper background. I really didn't care for the busy pond with all the muck and algae and the harsh light reflection so I focused with a more foliage background, I was getting a focused background with the foliage when I decided that I wanted some nice in-flight pictures with nearly all the attention focused on the dragonfly. I almost set it to macro which can make the background blur but decided that I was rather happy with the settings I had going so, I achieved a more blury background by aiming at the dragonfly in the center and kinda doing a minimal twist motion left or right to come up with the blury background.

Chad

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com