eagle antics

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
this bald eagle put on quite a show today at the park... unfortunately, the light was about gone by the time he showed up, and most of my shots were little more than silhouettes, but i did manage a few decent attempts... 40D, 100-400 @ various focal lengths and exposures...

IMG_1772sm_filtered.jpg

IMG_1763sm_filtered.jpg

IMG_1764tonemapped_filteredsm.jpg

Last edited:
jealous, why don't the dogs I shoot look that good? I wanna go shoot birds!!!

jealous, why don't the dogs I shoot look that good? I wanna go shoot birds!!!

LOL! but at least you don't have to stand out in the cold for hours waiting for the dogs to present you with a shot.. ;)

ok, you must have missed the Janice's going to the dogs thread ... we sit out in the cold 10+ hours a day, freezing every body part off, and sitting, not moving (except camera) for very long periods of time with no warm ups possible ... but, yes, we are presented with 6-10 shots every minute LOL

ok, you must have missed the Janice's going to the dogs thread ... we sit out in the cold 10+ hours a day, freezing every body part off, and sitting, not moving (except camera) for very long periods of time with no warm ups possible ... but, yes, we are presented with 6-10 shots every minute LOL

i was thinking of doggie portrait shoots, not agility... my bad! :rolleyes:

> i did manage a few decent attempts...

"Decent"? That's all those shots get from you is "Decent"? Wow, you're tough critic of your own work...

If I took those shots I'd be calling them "great" or at least "very good"

Very nice Rocky...!!! I was up at the skagit this weekend to take pics...I didn't get any bald eagles shots :(

"Decent"? That's all those shots get from you is "Decent"? Wow, you're tough critic of your own work...

I agree with Bob.

i was thinking of doggie portrait shoots, not agility... my bad! :rolleyes:

NEWSFLASH: at least 90% of my doggie portraits are done inside a 10x15' tent/portrait booth, in unheated horse barns, during agility trials, so we do freeze for the doggie portraits too :)

Beautiful shots, Rocky. I love that you even got the detail and textures in it's feet. Well done. :)

well, you know what they say about being our own worst critics... :D i do like these shots - the last one, especially, came out rather well - but they aren't as clean and crisp as i'd really have liked... mainly due to the light, but it took a fair bit of fiddling in PP to get them to look good. and although the bird was fairly close and i'd pulled the zoom back to 200mm to make sure i caught it as it went by, i still had to crop more than i'd really have liked, so the final image file is only good for about 8x12, maybe 10x15 tops, for printing. i haven't printed it yet, but i probably will in the near future, just to see if it prints up well enough to offer for sale...

Rocky, I understand what you're saying, and I agree that you should be your own worst critic, it helps you improve. They're still great shots though! :)

As for printing, I'll bet they look fine. I'm always surprised at how well stuff prints, often the small noise that's obvious on the monitor is hardly visible in prints.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back