Eagle in the Pre-Dawn

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Crafted Saturday early morning at Deception Pass.

Attachments

• IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1350.JPG
    532.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 204
The young ones are so curious. This one just flew over to check out what I was doing, What do you think of these pics? Taken in super low light with the 5D. No crop, Hand held. R.J

I would first take some photos "as is". Then I would take a range of photos using positive exposure compensation, starting with +1. With eagles you have the advantage of the bird usually sitting for awhile after it flies in and lands.

I shoot in jpeg. If you shoot in raw, you can probably experiment with positive exposure compensation in post processing and see what comes up. Just save the originals.

For a pure silhouette shot, I like the first one with the eagle spreading its wings. I think the shot looks good without any cropping as the tree is part of the complete scene.

Last edited:
Thank You, I have found that a full frame has more tolerance with upping the EC. The 7DII was the first that I could really use EC for getting proper exposer. The photo of the Eagle was in very low light with no sun rise, just cloudy. Here is a picture of Cranberry Lake when I first arrived. R.J

Attachments

• IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 204
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back