Edmonds Big Waves 1-10-17

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday afternoon (1-10-17) my son and I went down to the Edmonds Marina in the hopes of taking more eagle photos like I had taken in the morning. The combination of a seasonal King Tide and high winds produced some large waves that battered the various breakwaters and bulkheads along the Edmonds waterfront. These waves were not as big as those two years ago that damaged some of the bulkheads, but I thought they were still worth photographing.

Looking north from Marina Beach.
01.jpg

The concrete pad at Olympic Beach acts as a landing spot for driftwood. Two years ago the carcass of a deer was washed up at this location. Its hide had been removed by the waves and sand.
07.jpg

08.jpg

View from the walkway out to the fishing pier.
02.jpg

Last edited:
Walking out to the newly rebuilt fishing pier. Waves were breaking on the marina's breakwater and spilling inside the marina.
03.jpg

04.jpg

My son in the blue Mariners jacket watched the wave action from the protection of one of the new shelters.
05.jpg

The owners of these boats are probably thinking that the marina's docking fees are well worth the money.
06.jpg

Last edited:
The bulkhead at the entrance to the marina with its Port Of Edmonds sign took a real pounding. I took these shots from the south end of the fishing pier with my 5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom. With my back to the incoming wind and waves, I made sure to brace myself in the event of any surprises.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
The bulkhead to the parking lot near the Senior Center also took a pounding. This bulkhead and the one at the entrance to the marina both had to be repaired immediately after the high waves of two years ago.

09.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back