Edmonds Eagles 2014/15

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

The displaced eagle circled and landed on the bottom piling.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

The action picked up again in the afternoon at the marsh. A juvie flew over the marsh while being chased by several evil minions of the Dark Lord. It landed briefly by the creek, took off, then landed again.
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

I noticed from my photos that the bird was banded.
14.JPG

15.JPG

Last edited:
The reason for the eagle's return became apparent when it took off with the carcass of a bird, possibly a duck or gull.

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

Last edited:
The juvie flew south. One of the Pt. Edwards adults which had been hiding somewhere nearby in the marsh or Unocal grounds took off and flew south.
21.JPG

A second juvie flew north and landed on a telephone pole near #1 viewing platform where I was standing.
22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

I started to put my camera down when a goose in the grass in the marsh below flew up and attacked the eagle. I just missed photographing the attack, but caught the goose and the eagle flying away from each other. Several crows were involved in the turmoil as well.
25.JPG

Last edited:
Some days I can spend hours on Sunset Ave. above Puget Sound and the railroad tracks with nothing happening. There are other days when everything happens at once. Wednesday morning (5/6/15) was one of the latter. A horn blowing for the Main St.and Dayton St. crossings alerted me to the approach of a northbound train. The distress calls of gulls alerted me to the approach of one of the Pt. Edwards eagle.

The eagle flew north past me and landed on one of the anchored logs at the underwater dive park.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The eagle spent several minutes perched on the log.
06.JPG

A juvie flew by southbound.
07.JPG

A great blue heron flew by northbound.
08.JPG

Gulls continually harassed the eagle.
09.JPG

Eagles usually ignore passing gulls. This eagle may have felt vulnerable because it was at water level.
10.JPG

Last edited:
The eagle eventually took off and flew south, accompanied by its gulltourage.
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

The gulls were joined by evil minions of the Dark Lord.
15.JPG

I caught up with the eagle at the marsh, where I assume it had been washing off the salt water in the creek.

Wonderful shots, Bill - you hit it just right. That vantage point from Sunset provides one of the best conditions for photographing those eagles. Nice work!

What looked like a second year juvie flew over the marsh Friday (5/8) morning. The juvie does not realize that this is the best time of its life. Unconcerned with finding a mate and staking out a nesting territory, it is free to spend the day cruising about the area.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Saturday (5/9) was a very busy day for our local eagles.

The action started while I was at the #3 viewing platform of the marsh. One of the Pt. Edwards eagles approached, accompanied by its crow-tourage.
01.JPG

The eagle dove at a mother duck and duckings swimming in Willow Creek.
02.JPG

The eagle came up with what looked like two ducklings: one in each foot. The mother duck and remaining ducklings can be seen on the right side of the photo.
03.JPG

The crow continued to follow and harass the eagle.
04.JPG

The Circle of Life. The ducklings may be cute, but the eagle has to eat. Nature compensates by churning out hundreds of ducks.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The eagle made a second pass at the ducks.
06.JPG

07.JPG

The surviving ducks.
08.JPG

The eagle perched in a tree near the creek.
09.JPG

A crow kept an eye on the eagle.
10.JPG

Note: Photos taken with 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter. Heat waves rising off the marsh made for less than sharp photos.

Last edited:
From the marsh the eagle flew to the sentry tree near its nest on Pt. Edwards. Is mate was there as well, which to me indicates there will not be any babies this year.
11.JPG

On the other hand, the Hutt Park female was sitting on her nest.
12.JPG

The Hutt Park male was perched nearby on a sentry tree.
13.JPG

Tuesday afternoon (5/12) a red-winged blackbird chased an eagle near the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway. I think the eagle was one of the Pt. Edwards pair that had been bathing in Willow Creek at the south end of the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

The blackbird dropped off as the eagle continued flying south around Pt. Edwards.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Monday morning (5/18) saw the Pt. Edwards pair bathing in Willow Creek on the south side of the marsh.

One eagle flew south around Pt. Edwards while the other one flew to the raptor tree on the fish hatchery grounds with its crow-tourage in tow.
01.JPG

Grooming.
02.JPG

Stretching and shaking off the water.
03.JPG

The eagle was constantly harassed by an evil minion of the Dark Lord.
04.JPG

What you don't want to see heading your way if you are a small bird, fish, or mammal.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back