Edmonds Eagles 2014/15

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday (10/20/14) I was at the marsh photographing birds and the occasional passing train.
01.JPG

The herons suddenly took flight as a train rolled by.
02.JPG

I knew that the herons were accustomed to trains, so I started looking for an eagle. Sure enough, a few seconds later subadult flew over the marsh.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday (10/23/14) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles flew out of its nest just as I pulled up. I managed a few grab shots out the window of my car.
01.JPG

02.JPG

i did not see the eagle at Marina Beach, which did not surprise me as wind surfers were present. I found the eagle at the piling off the Senior Center by the ferry dock, another of its regular perches.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
You had to be really quick to get those shots of him/her flying out of the nest!! Nice job.

I was looking at the nest through the 5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4x teleconverter and never saw the eagle. Upon detecting movement, I instinctively snapped away and only tried to focus on the eagle during the last few shots. I could only hope that the shots were in focus.

It was late afternoon and I was shooting straight up with no exposure compensation, so the eagle's bright white head was a bit over exposed in some of the shots.

Terry O

Given the conditions and timing, they are really quite good! Your approach of 'shoot now and ask questions later' works more times than not!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday (10/24) I ran into Janine down at Marina Park. Janine said that both of the Pt. Edwards eagles are back. The female was perched on the piling eating a bird that Janine thought was a rhinocerous auklet.
01.JPG

The male was watching from the family tree at the end of Pt. Edwards Place.
02.JPG

The female took off and perched on a branch above the railroad tracks before I could set up the super telephoto package of my 5DIII + 500L + 2x teleconverter on the tripod.
03.JPG

I got the super telephoto package set up after the male flew down from the family tree and finished off the bird. Janine said she has observed this behavior before, which is probably as close as they get to sharing food.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
After totally consuming the prey, the eagle flew off in the direction of the marsh.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

The female remained and watched a train pass beneath her.
10.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (10/29) Terry, Daren, and I were at the marsh. Terry had to leave, which all but assured that the avian action would soon pick up.

Three other bird photographers (Janine, Brian, and Michael) arrived after Terry left. A short time later, one of the eagles circled the marsh.
01.JPG

It scared up about 13 herons which were in the marsh and the trees along Willow Creek on the south side of the marsh.
02.JPG

The eagle landed and began to drink and bathe in Willow Creek.
03.JPG

04.JPG

The herons settled down as the eagle drank.
05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both eagles flew over to the tall spar on the fish hatchery grounds to dry out. We drove over to the fish hatchery for some close-up shots.
11.JPG

12.JPG

`13.JPG

One was unhappy with its perch and took off.
14.JPG

It circled and found a new perch at the top of the spar.
15.JPG

Last edited:

Terry O

Just never fails, does it? You got some really nice shots, Bill. You should always give me credit for not being there! :)

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Late Wednesday (11/12/14) I went to Marina Beach to photograph the sunset. I was juggling two cameras and four lenses as the sunset + the arrivals of two eagles & the 4:30pm Seattle-Everett Sounder all took place at the same time.

I had attached my 4.0/70-200L medium zoom to the 7D in preparation for shots of the 4:30pm Sounder when one of the Pt. Edwards eagles landed on the piling with a fish at sunset. I got these grab shots.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I switched to the 5DIII (which handles high ISO settings better than the 7D) + 100-400L zoom for shots of the eagle on the piling.
06.JPG

I relocated to another spot on the beach to get shots of the eagle silhouetted against the sunset with the Olympic Mountains in the background.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

As I was preparing to leave, the eagle's mate flew in from across the Sound and headed south.
10.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday (12/15/14) I caught the Pt. Edwards eagles perched on two of their regular spots on Pt. Edwards.

01.JPG

02.JPG

I went down to the fishing pier and saw a juvie fly south past the pier.
03.JPG

The juvie flew south and circled around a group of gulls that I think had found a ball of bait fish.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the Pt. Edwards eagles saw the juvie and flew out to "greet" it.
06.JPG

The juvie began flying back north. The adult over took and passed it.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

The adult landed on its usual perch near the ferry dock and screeched at the juvie as it flew by. I got to the north end of the pier to watch the adult pose.
10.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com