Edmonds Eagles 2016-17

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tuesday morning (1-10-17) I caught the Hutt Park pair perched in one of the trees in the grove across the railroad tracks from the Shell Creek spit. The east side of the grove is visible from Melody Lane.
IMG_0001.jpg

They flew to another branch to escape harassment by the evil minions of the Dark Lord.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

The crows followed and both eagles flew away from this branch as well.
IMG_0005.jpg

Thursday morning (1-12-17) I saw an adult eagle land on one of the trees between Hanna Park Road and Cary Rd. These are private, dead-end lanes off Caspers St., located off the north end of Sunset Ave. This may be not be one of our local residents as its head still has a few dark feathers.

Exposure settings are always an issue when photographing eagles in low, bright winter sunlight as it is easy to overexpose the white head and tail feathers or underexpose the dark body feathers. The eagle showed no signs of leaving, so I experimented with various exposure compensations settings. All of these shots were taken handheld with my Canon 7DII + (first series) 100-400L telephoto zoom (my newer series II lens is at the shop, another victim of operator error) using the following settings: M mode, 1,000, f/5.6, auto ISO. My default aperture setting is f/8, but I wanted to keep the ISO settings as low as possible for the 7DII. I wish I had stuck with f/8 as some of the branches are slightly out of focus. The exposure compensation levels are in bold face above each photo.

Neg 2/3
01.jpg

Neg. 2/3
02.jpg

Neg 1
03.jpg

Neg 1+1/3
04.jpg

Neg 1+1/3
05.jpg

On a sunny winter day like to use an exposure compensation setting which produces the darkest blue sky possible to contrast with the eagle's white head without over-dimming the rest of the photo.

Last edited:
Later that afternoon my son and I went to the marsh, where one of the Pt. Edwards eagles landed at what is becoming its favorite winter watering hole. I was still shooting handheld with the 7DII + (first series) 100-400L telephoto zoom. I did not bother dragging out my tripod and 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC to mount on the 5DIII as my viewing angle was poor, I was shooting directly into the low sun, and I knew the eagle would fly off before I could get everything set up.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Tuesday morning (1-24-17) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was at the marsh playing with something that looked like a clump of mud-coated vegetation.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
All the shots I have posted were taken with my 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x TC. I did not bother setting up the tripod, but held the camera and lens on the guard rails of the boardwalk.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:
The eagle eventually took off with the unknown object and flew south around Pt. Edwards.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

I took some flight shots (not posted here) completely hand held. They came out good with the help of image stabilization, but I would not want to make a habit of it.

Last edited:
After lunch I found an eagle by the Deer Creek nest. Two workmen for the city of Woodway told me they had seen two eagles in the nest earlier this month.
IMG_0016.jpg

The Pt. Edwards nest was empty, but one of the eagles was perched on the tree at the top of Pine St.
IMG_0017.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon (1-26-17) the Hutt Park eagles were perched in a tree north of the Shell Creek spit.
IMG_0001.jpg

They both took off and flew farther north.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I checked their nest, but it appears abandoned.
IMG_0004.jpg

One was perched on a tree near Overlook Park on Olympic View Dr. , near both the nest and Hutt Park. After a few minutes the eagle took off and perched in another tree a little farther north.
IMG_0005.jpg

A cold wind was blowing Tuesday (1/31/17), but the crows, gulls, and eagles loved it as they soared over Puget Sound. I scouted the three Edmonds-Woodway eagle nests and found one of the eagles perched in the sentry tree near the Pt. Edwards nest.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The eagle took off as I was setting up my 500L telephoto lens and tripod, so I had to settle for some grab shots with the 100-400L telephoto zoom.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

It was joined by its mate which took off from the vicinity of the nest tree.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
I was on Sunset Ave. Wednesday afternoon when one of the Pt. Edwards eagles flew in and perched on a tree, followed by its gull-tourage.
01.jpg

The eagle did not stay long before it flew out over the Sound.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:
Continued from page 5.
06.jpg

It made a dive for something.
07.jpg

08.jpg

Coming up empty, it flew to its perch off Olympic Beach between the marina and ferry dock.
09.jpg

It was still there when I relocated to Olympic Beach.
10.jpg

Last edited:
An eagle was flying south over the Sound just off Sunset Ave. as I pulled up in my pickup. It obliged me by perching on a tree near the corner of Edmonds St. and Sunset Ave. across the street from a former perch, which was felled to make room for a trophy home. I don't know if the eagle is one of the Pt. Edwards or the Hutt Park pair, as this section of Sunset Ave. is in the Neutral Zone between the two pairs' territories. The eagle's gull tourage and several evil minions of the Dark Lord gave the eagle a typical welcome.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

The eagle looked to me like a female based on the size of its beak and the flat slope of its forehead.

Last edited:
Friday afternoon (3/10/17) I found an eagle sitting in what I am calling the Deer Creek nest in Woodway. It flew off a minute later, so I still don't know if there are eggs in the nest.
01.jpg

I went down to the marsh and saw an eagle flying north over the marina towards the ferry dock. Same eagle?
02.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards pair (male?) was perched on its tree at the top of Pine St. So far construction of the new apartments below the tree has not frightened off the pair.
03.jpg

04.jpg

Tuesday morning (3/14/17) was a repeat of Friday with an eagle sitting in the Deer Creek nest. Like Friday, it flew off the moment I put down the camera.
01.jpg

02.jpg

The Pt. Edwards nest was empty, but an eagle was perched on one of the regular perches on Pine St.
03.jpg

So far, the construction of apartments on Pine St. has not bothered the eagles.
04.jpg

And once again like Friday, one (same?) eagle flew north over the marina towards the ferry dock.
05.jpg

Last edited:
I spent a rainy Wednesday afternoon (3/15/17) scouting the local eagle nests. Both the Deer Creek and Pt. Edwards nests were empty.

One member of the Pt. Edwards pair spent the afternoon perched on Pine St....
IMG_0001.jpg

while the other was perched near the ferry dock.
IMG_0002.jpg

A juvie flew north over the marsh without eliciting a response from the adult perched on Pine St. It looks like the same bird (first year juvie?) that has been spending the winter in this area.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
One of the Pt. Edwards eagles drinking out of "Lake Edmonds" at the marsh prompted to get out of my pickup Saturday (3/18/17) and brave the rain for some shots.

I think this photo, taken at 100mm with the 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, is symbolic of the urban environment surrounding the marsh. The tree above the construction site is one of the eagles' regular perches.

01.jpg

Taken at 400mm. With the 1.7 crop factor of the 7DII, it is the equivalent of 680mm. It nearly matches the 700mm reach I get with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
The flushing of a flock of Brant in the Sound north of Sunset Ave. on the first day of spring (3/20/17) alerted me to the presence of an eagle that eventually landed in a tree on Hanna Park Rd.
01.jpg

The eagle took off in the direction of one of the perches of the Hutt pair at the end of Melody Lane. I found the eagle there, but it took off again.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

I found it at another of their regular perches near Overlook Park on Olympic View Dr.
05.jpg

I drove back to Sunset Ave. where I saw the juvie stirring up the birds near the Shell Creek spit.
06.jpg

07.jpg

The juvie flew south over the Sound, scaring the Brant along the way, then dipped down into the flock. I have seen this behavior of juvies before, where they appear to chase a bird just for the fun of it.
08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back