Edmonds Eagles 2016-17

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday (5/25) Terry and I were photographing the Pt. Edwards nest when I saw a juvie in the far distance. The juvie worked its way north and was spotted by the female in the nest.
01.jpg

A helicopter flew by at the same time and I got it in some of the photos. Due to compression by the telephoto lens, the helicopter appears much closer to the juvie than it really was.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday (6/6/17) I saw a baby in the Deer Creek nest for the first time.
01.jpg

The wings of the babies in the Pt. Edwards nest have shafts upon which feathers will start growing.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday afternoon (6/8) I noticed both adults perched on the pilings by the ferry dock. They both took off and flew towards the marsh as I was unloading my photo gear. One of them may have been carrying a fish. My son and I drove to the marsh where we saw one fly down from a tree to land hidden in the grass beside Willow Creek. We waited about an hour for it to take off, but it never did. Tired of waiting, we drove up to Pt. Edwards to check on the nest, where one of the babies and the mother posed for us.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg

Terry O

Good ones, Bill. Wish she had been on that branch today. So nice to get her and the nestling (s?).

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Photos of one of the Pt. Edwards babies taken Friday afternoon (6-9-17) with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC, tripod mounted. They have all been cropped to some extent.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I have not seen the two babies together this week. I hope one was not a victim of eaglet fratricide. :eek:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some Friday shots of other eagles nests in the area.

The mother was sitting in the Deer Creek nest.
05.jpg

The Lake Ballinger eagles were perched in the tall trees near their nest and drawing attantion from the evil minions of the Dark Lord.
06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

I could not see any babies in their nest, but you can tell by the droppings that it has been (recently?) used.
09.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday afternoon (6/11/17) at the Pt. Edwards nest. The baby was visible when I first set up.
01.jpg

The eaglet had retreated to the back of the nest before the mother arrived amid much fanfare.
02.jpg

There is not a large window of visibility to alert you to her pending arrival. Fortunately she announces herself with much screeching before she flies into sight and continues the chorus after landing.
03.jpg

She changed perches, but the baby remained at the back of the nest.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drove the short distance (as the eagle flies) to check on the Deer Creek nest. The viewing angle is not good, but I could see the baby stirring in the nest. These shots were taken from the comfort of my pickup with the 7DII + 100-400L II zoom + 1.4x teleconverter.

06.jpg

07.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
From Monday (6/12/17).

All three eagles (both adults and the juvie) were in the Deer Creek nest, which gives you an idea of how big the nest is.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The Pt. Edwards juvie ventured to the front edge of its nest.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
From Tuesday (6/13).

The first time I have photographed the Pt. Edwards eaglet from the back of the nest.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The Deer Creek eaglet continues to grow.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

The locations, viewing angles, and flight paths related to both nests are such that we cannot get spectacular shots of the adults flying in and out of the nests like we could with the original Pt. Edwards nest in 2014. Terry's recent shots of a Pt. Edwards adult flying out of its nest towards him are proving to be the exception.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (6/14) action at the Deer Creek nest.

One adult swooped into the nest.
IMG_0001.jpg

Immediately followed by its mate, which was carrying a bird that can be seen on the far left side of the photo.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The second adult briefly remained at the nest,
IMG_0004.jpg

then took off.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Friday (6/16/17) lunch stop at the Deer Creek nest proved fruitful as I discovered a second baby in the nest. Both babies were stretching their wings. Judging by the exposed feather shafts, I think these babies are a week or two younger than the Pt. Edwards baby.
01.jpg

Adult + one baby.
02.jpg

Adult + two babies.
03.jpg

One baby's beak is noticeably larger than the other's. Sister & brother?
04.jpg

I stopped by the Pt. Edwards nest shortly before sunset and saw one adult hunkered down inside.
05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (6/23/17) I stopped by Lake Ballinger while my son was playing tennis. One of the resident eagles was perched on its snag and being harassed by the evil minions of the Dark Lord.
IMG_0001.jpg

Its mate was circling high above the lake.
IMG_0003.jpg

I took a few shots of their nest, but saw nothing until I down-loaded the photos to my computer. I am 99.99% certain the pair have a baby this year. You can barely see its beak. What looks like the white head and yellow beak of an adult is actually intervening foliage I'll have to return with the 500L telephoto when lighting condition are better.
IMG_0002.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched in the shade in a tree next to Willow Creek at the marsh. This is not one of the eagle's usual spots and I would not have found it had it not been for the crows pointing it out to me. This is a 100mm shot from my 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom + 1.4x TC. The heat waves made the 400mm telephoto shots worthless.
IMG_0004.jpg

What looked like a 3 year old sub adult flew north over the marsh. The eagle in the tree just watched it fly over with no reaction.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday afternoon (6/24/17) one of the adults was in the Deer Creek nest with both babies. This is a very large nest.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
From the "back" (my perspective, not the eagles') of the Pt. Edwards nest Monday (6/28/17).
IMG_0001.jpg

Later that day from the "front" of the nest. Note the feather shafts on the eaglet's wing.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday (6/27/17) I set up the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC at the Deer Creek nest and caught one of the eaglets stirring. It is hard to find good lighting for photographing the nest.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com