Edmonds Eagles 2016-17

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Saturday (7/8/17) at the Pt. Edwards nest.

The eaglet's wings continue to develop. It is still not ready to start hopping and branching, necessary steps before it tries to fly.
01.jpg

02.jpg

Mother and offspring.
03.jpg

04.jpg

The Pt. Edwards eaglet was flapping its wings Saturday evening (7/15/17) and will probably start branch hopping soon. The eaglet has a month to become self-sufficient before the adults typically leave the area for two months in mid August.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I missed a shot of the adult flying directly towards me when it took off from the nest and left the eaglet to resume flapping by itself.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Tuesday evening (7/18/17) I was on a walk of the marsh with the Sierra Club when a juvie eagle flew by us and startled a a great blue heron that was perched in a nearby tree. This helped prove a theory I had voiced earlier about why the rookery at the south side of the marsh had disappeared: the Pt. Edwards pair had "discouraged" the herons from further nesting.

IMG_0001.jpg

Friday afternoon (7/21/17) the Pt. Edwards eaglet was perched on a branch above its nest.
IMG_0001.jpg

Branch hopping and gliding should soon follow.
IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
The Pt. Edwards eaglet was spreading its wings Sunday evening (7/23/17). It would periodically call out for its parents, a cry I think I heard all the way down at the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Wednesday evening (7/26/17) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was taking a break at the marsh along with a flock of geese.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Just one of the Deer Creek eaglets was visible Saturday evening (7/29/17).

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The Pt. Edwards eaglet was not visible, but one of its parents was perched atop the nearby sentry tree.

IMG_0004.jpg

At least one of the Deer Creek eaglets has fledged.
01.jpg

I caught it flying around the nest tree on the last day of July.
02.jpg

One of the parents flew out to investigate.
03.jpg

The eaglet returned to the nest after a few laps.
04.jpg

A red-tailed hawk flew out to investigate.
05.jpg

I don't know whether or not the Pt. Edwards eaglet has fledged. One of the parents is still bringing it food.
06.jpg

07.jpg

A friend told me that the Lake Ballinger eaglet had fledged. I confirmed this Tuesday afternoon (8/1/17) when I found it perched on the spar where I usually find its parents.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

There are three other eagle nests in the area that I need to check out. It begs the question, how many mating pairs can our area support?

I have not yet seen the Pt. Edwards eaglet fly. Sunday (8/6/17) it was perched on a branch that was visible from the back (south) side. Although it is easy to see eagles in the nest, intervening branches interfere with photographing them.

IMG_0001.jpg

The Pt. Edwards juvie has fledged. Monday evening (8/7/17) I took photos, including this series of it trying to land on same branch where one of its parents was already perched. The juvie is easy to locate as it spends the day crying for food.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Our local eagles usually take off this time of year for parts unknown and return in October. Tuesday morning (8/22/17) one of the Pt. Edwards adults was still in town and hanging out at its usual perch above the apartment construction on Pine St.

IMG_0001.jpg

At least three of our local nesting pairs had babies this year, so their annual sabbatical may be delayed until they are satisfied their offspring are self sufficient.

Monday afternoon (8/28) I caught both eagles of the Pt. Edwards pair perching in the shade of a tree lower down Pine St. by the new apartment construction. I have never seen the eagles perch in the tree before and assume it was too hot for them in the sunshine of their usual perch atop the tree at the top of Pine St.
IMG_0001.jpg

At time both were screeching. I don't know if that was for their pwn amusement or to call their recently fledged eaglet.
IMG_0002.jpg

A juvie Cooper's hawk flew past towards the marsh. It may be one of the juvies I have photographed this summer at the marsh and City Park.
IMG_0003.jpg

I usually close this thread in August when the eagles leave the area and start a new one in October when they return. I can't do that yet because one of the Pt. Edwards eagles is sticking around. I wonder if having a baby changed its mind about leaving on vacation. I found it sitting in the sentry tree around noon Tuesday (9/5/17).

IMG_0001.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back