Edmonds Eagles 2017-2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our local eagles usually disappear from mid August through early-mid October. Where they go I don't know, I presume they fly to where salmon are spawning. I typically close the season's eagle thread when they leave and start a new one upon their return.

This year has been different as I don't believe the Pt. Edwards pair ever departed. I have been seeing one in the distance off and on throughout August into September. Perhaps it is related to their having a baby this year, although I have not seen the fledgling for quite some time.

Thursday (9/21/17), the last day of summer, I photographed one of the pair at their usual perch on the tree at the top of Pine St. above the new apartment construction. I'll use two of my photos to start a new thread on this first day of autumn.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0001_1.jpg

Last season's thread (2016-2017) is here:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?14423-Edmonds-Eagles-2016-17

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (10/4/17) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched by the 2017 nest. The eagle took off a few seconds after I stepped away from the camera.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I mounted the 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC on a tripod and attached my new/used 1Dx that I purchased from Kenmore Camera earlier this week. Terry feels I should start shooting in RAW to make maximum use of the camera.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday afternoon (10/5/17) an eagle was soaring over the Sound north of Brackett's Landing, the air space of the Hutt Park pair.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a theory that a mated pair of eagles go their separate ways when they disappear every year in August and reunite back at their nesting territory in October. I believe one of the Pt. Edwards pair never left as I have been seeing one up at Pt. Edwards throughout August, September, and October. It appears to be waiting the return of its mate, which could be any day now based on my observations over the past 4-5 years.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks as though our 2017-2018 eagle season is in full flight.

Sunday morning (10-22-17) I found a sub adult perched in one of the trees on Hanna Park Rd., a private lane that is visible from Caspers St. off the north end of Sunset Ave. This is the territory of the Hutt Park pair, so I wonder if the bird will remain in the area.
IMG_0001.jpg

I am guessing it is a third year bird judging by the traces of black that remain in its head feathers.
IMG_0002.jpg

I then drove up to Pt. Edwards. where I found both members of the Pt. Edwards pair perched in their tree atop Pine St. above the new apartment construction site. This is the first time I have seen them both together since August. I think one left the area for its seasonal sabbatical while the other remained. It will be interesting to see if their 2017 offspring returns to the area.
IMG_0003.jpg

This one wasn't screeching, just yawning.
IMG_0004.jpg

I have to get back into mid season form, as I missed getting takeoff shots of both birds.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (11/22/17) a juvie eagle was perched in one of the trees off Hanna Park Rd. where I have often photographed adults. I wonder if it is one of the local fledglings from this summer.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday morning (12/7/17) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was hanging out at the pilings near the ferry dock.
IMG_0001.jpg

It took off over the Sound.....
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

and returned with a fish.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday (12/14/17) was predicted to be the last sunny day for awhile, so my son and I went down to the fishing pier to photograph birds. Eagles were flying across the Sound and around the marina. I assumed they were the resident Pt. Edwards pair until I looked at these photos after downloading them to my home computer. The traces of black on the eagle's white head and tail feathers lead me to believe it is not one of the Pt. Edwards adults but a third year sub adult.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

An eagle flying west across the Sound with a fish in its grasp.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Pt. Edwards pair were at their nest Friday afternoon (12/15/17). One looked as though it was rearranging sticks inside the nest.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday afternoon (12/19/17) a lone eagle was perched on one of the remaining tall firs on Hanna Park Rd. In the past this has been the territory of the Hutt Park pair. I don't know who is claiming it now.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eagles love to soar in high winds. Wednesday afternoon (12/20/17) two of them were soaring north of Sunset Ave. in the airspace of the Hutt Park pair.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have taken hundreds (probably thousands) of photos of sunsets and eagles, but have only taken a few shots of an eagle in the sunset. I got lucky Saturday evening (12/23/17) and got some grab shots of an eagle (probably one of the Hutt Park pair) in the sunset.

The eagle flew south past Sunset Ave. just as I pulled up in my pickup. I was afraid I lost the opportunity for a shot, but the eagle circled around (possibly after seeing one of the Pt. Edwards pair perched on the piling by the ferry dock) and flew back north.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The eagle was horribly back lit as it flew fairly close past me, but I was able to lighten the photos in post processing.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The eagles celebrated a sunny New Year's day afternoon by flying between the fish hatchery, Pt. Edwards, and the marina.

Marsh
One of the tall, poofy-topped trees at the fish hatchery.
01.jpg

The eagles' usual perch at the top of Pine St.
02.jpg

03.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marina
04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

What looked like a second year juvie (note the bandito mask starting to form on its head) flew by as we were leaving the marina. I saw a similar one fly over the marsh the previous day.
07.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (1-3-18) one of the Pt. Edwards pair flew past its mate perched on the family tree at the top of Pine St.
IMG_0001.jpg

Its mate followed.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

One of the locals flying in at sunset with its last catch of the day.
IMG_0005.jpg

Terry O

Good shots, Bill. Nice to see them back - they must be the same pair we have had over a few years.

Terry

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The past 2-3 days of rain gave me a bad case of cabin fever. Even though it was overcast Monday afternoon (1-8-18), I had to get put and take some photos.

Construction of the new apartments at Pt. Edwards has not discouraged the resident eagles from perching on their tree at the top of Pine St.
01.jpg

The eagle flew over the marsh on its way to the marina.
02.jpg

When herons start flying around the marsh....
03.jpg

04.jpg

look for an incoming eagle.
05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The eagle stopped by the marsh for a drink of water on its way back from the marina.
06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

It scared up killdeer as well as herons.
10.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hustled to get the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter mounted and leveled on the tripod before the eagle took off.
11.jpg

12.jpg

Because I was shooting with the 7DII, I slowed the shutter speed down to 1/250 to get as low an ISO setting as possible. For that reason, things were blurred when the eagle took off.
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com