Edmonds Eagles 2017-2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Continued from previous page.

The parents would fly to another perch, where they would sit for a few minutes before junior would fly over to join them. The pattern repeated several times while I was there.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
The eaglet was perched atop the family tree Saturday evening (8-4-18) shortly before sunset. Construction of the new condos below the perch for the past year has not appeared to bother the birds. We will see what happens once the condos are occupied.

01.jpg

Both parents were nearby, but one took off shortly after I set up. The other remained, although it frequently changed perches.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Maybe the one that left grew tired of the baby squawking for food. The baby took off shortly before sunset and the adult followed. Earlier this week a friend of mine photographed the baby and one of the adults "sharing" food on the hillside behind the condos. You can see her photos here: https://myedmondsnews.com/2018/08/scene-in-edmonds-food-fight/

Last edited:
The Pt. Edwards eaglet continues to explore the neighborhood under the watchful eyes of a parent. Monday afternoon (8-6-18) I caught up with the two at the marsh, where they were perched on a tree above Willow Creek. I started out photographing them handheld with my 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

01.jpg

I then switched to the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x III teleconverter mounted on a tripod.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

I tried a few shots using the 2x III teleconverter, but it got me too close to include both birds in the same photo. The other problem was the heat waves. This is the best photo I got using the 2x III TC and I had use -2 exposure compensation to get it.

05.jpg

I probably would have been just as well off to have stuck with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, although it was nice to use the tripod instead of having to continuously hold the camera.

Last edited:
I went down to the marsh Friday evening (8-10-18) to try to photograph sandpipers without the distortion caused by heat waves. Upon arriving, I noticed that one of the Pt. Edwards adults was perched on the family tree at the top of Pine St.

IMG_0001.jpg

A short time later I heard the eaglet squawking. I finally located it on top of the same tree. The adult must have flown off while I was not looking.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Saturday afternoon (8-11-18, another palindromic date) the Pt. Edwards eaglet flew down to a tree along the Willow Creek at the marsh.
I did not see either parent nearby and it was not squawking for a change.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

All of these photos were taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 2x III teleconverter mounted on a tripod. I remain very pleased with the series III teleconverter. Highly cropped shots are clear, such as this one taken at 1/500, f/9, ISO =1000. I used the 5DIII instead of the 7DII as I knew the ISO settings would be fairly high due to the overcast.

04.jpg

Last edited:
The Pt. Edwards eagles are still in town. Tuesday afternoon (8-21-18) I saw the juvie and its gulltourage fly north over the marsh .

IMG_0001.jpg

A few minutes later one of its parents headed in the same direction.

IMG_0002.jpg

A friend who lives in the Pt. Edwards condos sent me photos of the juvie perched on the roof next to her back deck.

Wednesday afternoon (8-22-18) at the marsh could be called A Tale of Three Eagles. Telephoto photography was not easy due to the smoke screen caused by wildfires in eastern Washington and British Columbia.

A sub-adult (probably a third year bird) that I had seen from afar earlier in the week flew over Willow Creek on the far south side of the marsh.

001.jpg

003.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards adults was perched in a tree over Willow Creek. The presence of one of the adults usually means the eaglet is nearby.

002.jpg

I think the eaglet was hidden in tall grass as it suddenly appeared and flew into a tree above the creek.

004.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:
A coal train was approaching, so I set for the eaglet to fly off.

026.jpg

It didn't leave until the train began whistling for the Dayton St. crossing.

027.jpg

029.jpg

It flew back to its perch above the creek.

028.jpg

030.jpg

I haven't seen the baby or an adult the past days. It is that time of year when the eagles take off for who knows where and return in late September-mid October. I'll create a new thread for 2018-2019 when they return.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back