Edmonds Flyovers

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday (6/21/14) was the first day of summer and I set up my equipment on Sunset Ave. People walking by often ask me what I am photographing. I reply, "Anything that flies, swims, drives, or rolls by."

I suspect there was a vintage fly-in at Paine Field north of me in Everett, as several old airplanes spent the day circling the Sound. My friend Bob is an aviation buff who recently took up serious photography of planes. He was probably camped out at the end of the runway at Paine Field with the other photographers.

Bob told me that aviation photographers want the propeller blurred rather than a frozen to show a real plane in flight rather than a model dangling from a thread. The perfect photo is a 360 degree propeller "disc"
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told this is a B-17. It made trips around the Sound all day and I can hear it passing overhear as I am typing this.
04.JPG

I believe you can pay $$$$ to ride in it. I hope this guy remembered to fasten his seat belt.
05.JPG

06.JPG

Older looking biplane.
07.JPG

This looks like a modern plane painted up like a vintage plane.
08.JPG

Shots in this thread were taken with both my 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on a tripod and the handheld 7D + 100-400L telephoto zoom. The sunshine and haze played some havoc with exposure and focus. Next time I'll try mounting my circular polarizing filter on the 100-400L zoom.

Last edited:
Monday morning I caught a second WWII era Boeing bomber flying over Puget Sound. Aviation afecionados can identify it for us. It flew by as a train was passing Sunset Ave.

Bomber + train.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Bomber + train + ferry.
03.JPG

Bomber + Olympic Mtns.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back