Edmonds Seals

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A baby seal was on Olympic Beach Sunday evening (9-16-18). One of the seal sitter volunteers was there to answer questions and keep the public a safe distance from the baby.

IMG_0001.jpg

The best view was from the walkway above the beach across from the restrooms and ranger shack.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The seal would periodically look up to check out its admirers, then go back to sleep. I saw an adult nearby, probably its mother hunting for dinner.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Another baby seal was at Olympic Beach Saturday afternoon (11-24-18) . I believe this is the smallest one I have seen napping on the sand.

Playing in the water off the fishing pier.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

On the beach.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Tuesday afternoon (12-05-18) my son and I caught both a baby seal and a sea lion below the fishing pier. Later that afternoon I ran into a friend who is a retired wildlife biologist from NOAA and asked him if the baby seal was in danger of being eaten by the sea lion. He said that while sea lions have been known to hunt baby seals, it usually occurs around seal rookeries.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

The sea lion, seal, cormorants, and fishermen on the pier seemed more intent on catching fish than hunting each other.

08.jpg

09.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back