Edmonds Transportation Mix

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday (12/23/13) afternoon from Sunset Ave. I caught the superstructure of a new Washington State ferry being barged south towards Seattle. A friend said it is the Samish which was built at a shipyard on Whidbey Island and is being transported to Seattle for completion.
01.JPG

Tug doing the towing.
02.JPG

Ferry superstructure mounted on the barge.
03.JPG

Later that afternoon I went to Marina Park to photograph the sunset. Shortly before sunset, a northbound freight rounded Pt. Edwards and rolled past the off leash dog park.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Last edited:

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's interesting. I would never have guessed that the ferry would be assembled in multiple locations. Learn something new everyday. :)

I like the light you caught on the train.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday (1/15/14) afternoon a fog bank from Puget Sound kept rolling in and out of Edmonds. I was down at Marina Park photographing birds when I saw the ferry from Kingston coming out of the fog shortly before arriving at the Edmonds ferry dock.

Post processing using Picasa's auto contrast gave it that artsy/surrealistic/ethereal look that Terry and I love.
01.JPG

No post processing.
02.JPG

Last edited:

Terry O

Interesting ferry superstructure shots, Bill. I had no idea they were building part of one on Whidbey. The foggy shots do qualify as ethereal! :)

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday (1/17/14): Two tugs traveled south past the fishing pier.

Polar Ranger
01.JPG

Polar Cloud
02.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
While Terry, Daren, and I were photographing grebes at the Edmonds Marina Wednesday (4/23/14) morning, the Washington State Dept. of Transportation's newest ferry, the Tokitae, sailed north past Edmonds on sea trials.

01.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was taking bird shots on Sunset Ave on 6/25/14 when the evening Vancouver, BC-Seattle Cascades rolled by near sunset.
12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Four days later (6/29/14) I was back trying the same thing with a freight train.
05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

It is that time of year when the sun is setting at its latest and farthest north. The angle of the sunset with the railroad tracks below Sunset Ave. creates interesting sunset + train shots.

I need to experiment with my Speedlites to light up the trains. A local member offered to give me some quick lessons. If you are reading this thread and your offer is still open, please shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

Terry O

I like shots number 2 and 3 a lot, Bill. Perhaps a bit more light on the train, but the shot is pretty dramatic as is, IMHO.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday (7/2) was on Sunset Ave. experimenting with various lenses on my 7D.

Morning: 7D + 500L telephoto.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

7D + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter.
05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was at the fishing pier Monday morning (8/18/14) when the Lady Washington and one other sailing ship passed by heading south.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Later that evening I was up on Sunset Ave. waiting for the sunset. There wasn't much of one, but the ferry looked nice.

01.JPG

02.JPG

04.JPG

Joemeche

Ask and ye shall receive, Terry....here's the Hawaiian Chieftan under full sail on Bellingham Bay.

LadyWATwo.jpg

LadyWAOne.jpg

LadyWAthree.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com