Edmonds Transportation Mix

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Train + sunset Friday night (7/14/17) at Ocean Ave. in Edmonds. Some very rushed shots taken handheld with the 7D + 17-35L wide angle zoom.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Some composed shots can be seen here:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?7935-Sunsets-of-Edmonds-WA/page14

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (7/21/17) my son Daren and I had lunch at a local McDonalds. Herb, the father of the owner, had arrived in his 1930 Model A and posed beside it with Daren.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Hawaiian Chieftain and the Lady Washington have been moored this past weekend at the Edmonds Marina.
http://myedmondsnews.com/2017/08/epic-edmonds-tall-ship-sea-battle-blast-young-old/

Saturday Rocky posted photos of the two ships engaging in a sea battle in Puget Sound off Whidbey Island. I took photos of Sunday afternoon's (8/20/17) skirmish from Sunset Ave.

5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, handheld.
IMG_0001.jpg

Moving closer with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC, tripod mounted.
IMG_0002.jpg

Returning to port.

Hawaiian Chieftain
IMG_0003.jpg

Lady Washington, which has appeared in TV shows and movies.
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice shots, Bill! I just wish there'd been some wind so we could've seen them actually under sail! A bit closer would've been nice, too... ;)

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Coast Guard has been making periodic flights over the Edmonds ferry terminal since 9-11. I caught one of the flights Monday afternoon (8/28/17) from the fishing pier.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was taking sunset photos from Ocean Ave. Monday evening (9/4/17) when the Vancouver, BC Cascades sneaked up on me. The camera was in Av mode and ended up taking these shots at 1/50 sec. Whenever I screw up a photo, I just call it "artsy."

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The evening Seattle-Vancouver, BC Cascades was late, but I still got some shots of it silhouetted against the sunset. It was probably a good setting for a remote flash if I had thought ahead enough to mount one.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday morning (11/21/17) I drove down to Sunset Ave. to kill time while my son was bowling. It was pouring rain and I had no plans to leave the comfort of my pickup until a Boeing train approached. Boeing 737 fuselages are usually transported on flatcars located at the head of a fast freight like an auto rack train. A train of just 737 fuselages on flat cars is not an everyday event, so I braved the elements for some grab shots.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday evening (12/23/17) a coal train passed Sunset Ave. shortly after sunset on its way to Roberts Bank, B.C, where the coal is transferred to large ocean freighters for shipment to Asia.

Shooting handheld with the 5DIII + 24-105L zoom, I tried all sorts of tricks to get lighting that best brought out both the train in the foreground and the sunset in the background. Shooting straight on with evaluative light metering brings out the sunset but renders the foreground a silhouette.
03.jpg

Shooting at +1 exposure compensation using spot light metering brings out the foreground, but washes out the sunset.
04-2.jpg

The best way to highlight both the foreground and sunset is to use the camera's built-in HDR feature, preferably with the camera mounted on a tripod, but that is not possible with a moving object like a train.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Bill, when I got my D500, I was excited about the built in HDR. Then I discovered it has what I consider to be a fatal flaw. It does NOT save the raw images it uses to make the HDR. You only get a final JPG of the HDR. So, you'd better hope you like it, because there's no going back. You can make any adjustments, or even use just one of the images and extra data from the raw.

There are so many good HDR programs out there these days. They have a variety of approaches, techniques and looks. Even a single program often will have dozens of built in parameters, ranging from so subtle that it's hard to tell it was HDR to "Nuclear color".

There are dozens of reasons to shoot in RAW rather than using the HDR that's built in. Use bracketing, and you can do the exact same thing. The only advantage to the built in version is that it's fast. Personally, I'll do a bit of work in post to get far more control and flexibility. Many programs have "anti-ghosting" options that might get rid of the problem of the moving train.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot in jpeg, so a final image in jpeg does not bother me. My two cameras with HDR (Canon 5D Mk III and 7D Mk II) can be set to save all three images used to make the single HDR image. I shoot many photos a day and don't want to spend a lot of time in post processing, so I'll live with the short-comings of built-in HDR.

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Bill, as long as it also saves the original images, then why not? If you’re not happy with the results, you have them as backup. That’s how I expected Nikon to do it, and I was very disappointed when I couldn’t find a way to keep the original images. It’s been a while since I tried it. I don’t know if it could be fixed in a firmware update or not.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 787th Boeing 787 flew over Puget Sound between Edmonds and Mukilteo Tuesday afternoon (12-4-18). It is owned by China Southern Airlines according to the writing under the wing and on the side of the plane. O took a series of photos from the fishing pier with the 7DII + 500L telephoto lens + 2x III teleconverter.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com