EMD F9 #7012A Startup instructional video

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Edited a video last weekend from some footage I took last July.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC_KQ6rXZnI

Turn up the sound from 3:45 to 5:30.

For those of you who know me, and wonder why I'm so hard of hearing, this video gives you a bit of insight into the problem. Oh, and no, steam locomotives are not any quieter. In fact, they're usually louder. ;) Hearing protection? That's for sissies! Real railroaders don't wear hearing protection... OK, well maybe the smart ones do, but "back in the day" nobody did, and we're all paying for it now.

As for C&C, it looks good to me, but I don't do any video to speak of, so maybe somebody else will have some more input.

Speaking of "video", I'm still looking for a couple of moderators who are willing to start a videography section here on the forum. I don't have the expertise to do so, but I think a video section would be useful.

Interested? Drop me a PM and we can talk...

I would say first of all, the location itself presents a lot of difficulties in pulling off a video the lighting inside a train is clearly difficult and capturing clear audio is even more so especially once the train is going. But given your listed equipment you did what you could and I'm sure your target audience enjoys seeing the video. As far as editing, I felt like there were a few spots that could certainly be cut (the part where you don't know where to stand for example). Anything that doesn't provide information or move the video forward in some way can probably be reduced or eliminated. It can be difficult to edit your own material in some ways because you (in the general sense) can easily become attached to shots even if they really should be cut out.
Again, that particular location seems like it would be very hard to shoot in. If you have more opportunities to shoot on trains like this my first thought might be to shoot later when the outside light is lower and possibly get some lights inside the train to even out the light and not have the outside all blown out. Also a wireless mic on the speaker will help get him louder and more clear. If you really want to get fancy, a large diaphragm mic to record the engine itself would sound awesome.
I hope this doesn't come off as negative, I watched some of your other videos and I can see you have an eye for composition and so on, I think this video in particular mainly had an extremely difficult location to shoot in. But other than that you got your idea across, so good job.

Thanks for the C&C timmo, I appreciate it. Lack of funds means, I'm only using the on camera mic (birthday is coming up, so I'll probably get a better one then.) Next video I do will feature a steam locomotive and will be a bit better prepared for, that'll be some time in December.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back