Eurasian wigeon

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found this lovely Eurasian wigeon drake mingling with a bunch of American wigeons and gadwalls at Hawks Prairie pond in Lacey yesterday afternoon... these little fellas are uncommon vagrants; one or two seem to show up every winter, but they're never found here in large numbers at all. The ones we see here are birds from Siberia that took a wrong turn on their way south, and wound up on our coast instead of in SE Asia...

MG-2218-crop-sm.jpg

MG-2053-crop-sm.jpg

Good find. I have not seen a Eurasian in several years and have never seen one of your storm wigeons.
Thanks, Bill! I've seen the Eurasians down this way several times... a couple last winter, and now this one in Lacey. These are by far the best, closest shots I've managed of one to date, though...

Is this a Storm Wigeon? Caught at the duck pond yesterday .
No, the "storm wigeon" is basically just a rather rare variation of the American wigeon, that has white or buffy cheeks instead of the usual gray-brown. I've got a photo of one somewhere, but it's buried in my archives at the moment...

No, the "storm wigeon" is basically just a rather rare variation of the American wigeon, that has white or buffy cheeks instead of the usual gray-brown. I've got a photo of one somewhere, but it's buried in my archives at the moment...

I think that photo used to be your avatar if that helps you find it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back