Everett, WA

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday (8-19-18) was the second day of my son's Special Olympics state softball tournament. Between games we photographed birds on the Port Gardner Channel from South View Park, located along Marine View Drive north of the boat launch. I set up the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter for the long shots. The sun was screened by the smoke from wildfires, which helped cut down heat waves.

The channel is famous for its osprey colony. The osprey nests are built atop old pilings that were once used to tie up log rafts from the many mills that used to be in Everett.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More osprey photos.

IMG_0006.jpg

An osprey, Caspian tern, and a flotilla of common mergansers.

IMG_0007.jpg

I saw a large flock of small shorebirds fly off as I was setting up my equipment. This small flock flew by after I was set up.

IMG_0008.jpg

Closer shot of the mergansers.

IMG_0009.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
This year's Special Olympics bowling season will be held at Evergreen Lanes in Everett during September and October. There was a special
pre-season bowling session for the athletes Saturday (8-25-18) afternoon, so I dropped my son off at the bowling alley and headed down to the marina.

Once again I set up at South View Park . Although it was cool, cloudy, and overcast; smoke from the wildfires still persisted. At least I did not have to deal with heat waves like on sunny days. The closest osprey nest is a two story affair which held two fledglings.

IMG_0001.jpg

There are several more nests in the channel and lots of osprey. Two of them shared the channel with a wind surfer.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

One was perched across the channel on Jetty Island.

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another was perched in a tree on the bluff above the railroad yard.

IMG_0011.jpg

A fledgling was flying over the water and landed near the nest.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been reports on Tweeters of a great egret at the Everett marina. This will be the second or third year one has been spotted there in the fall. Terry got some stunning photos of the egret last year.

Tuesday (10-9-18) Daren and I went up to the marina after his morning All Aboard bowling to see what we could find. When we arrived, the egret was at the far eastern end of the Pt. Gardner channel between the eastern end of the marina parking lot and Marine View Dr. I was pleased to find there is no parking fee after Sept. 30.

01.jpg

02.jpg

The tide was coming in fast and the egret flew to the log boom tied up next to the boat launch. I was told that is its favorite location if it is not being harassed by the herons.

03.jpg

04.jpg

I relocated for some closer shots.

05.jpg

Last edited:

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice find, Bill... I remember the egret hanging around the marina boat launch area for about 6 weeks in early fall of 2015.. got tons of photo of it while it was there.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com