Fir Island 11-19-2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son and I returned to Fir Island Monday afternoon (11-19-18). First stop was Wylie Slough. The tide was coming in and a small flock of yellowlegs flying northeast did not give me hope of seeing many shorebirds.

01.jpg

Several herons were present. They proved to be very photogenic as I could get much closer to them than I can at the Edmonds marsh.

02.jpg

Several eagles were in the area including this one which landed in a tree above the pheasant farm. The pheasant coops are all covered, so no easy lunch for him or her.

03.jpg

Swans were in the field across one of the sloughs.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
06.jpg

A small flock of coots was in the slough. I could only get a shot of one from the walkway.

07.jpg

Two more photogenic herons were on the way back to the parking lot.

08.jpg

09.jpg

I thought this was just another flock of geese passing overhead when I took the photos, but some birders with good binoculars pointed out that they were sandhill cranes.

10.jpg

Last edited:
Next stop was the area birders simply refer to as "Hayton." More shorebirds were present than at Wylie Slough.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

At least three female northern harriers were present and put on a good show.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

I did not see any short-eared owls.

There is a tree on by the road leading to the parking lot that has an eagle nest in it. It appears to be the local hangout for raptors as I saw a juvie bald eagle, a red-tailed hawk, an adult bald eagle, and a peregrine falcon perched in it at various times.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Late in the afternoon a large flock of snow geese took off towards the east. I think I later located them bedded down in a field just off the old highway into Stanwood.

30.jpg

31.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back