Fir Island & Eide Road 10-11-18

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday my son and I drove north to various DFW locations on Fir Island and Eide Rd. near Stanwood. In short, no snow geese or shore birds and very few raptors. Here are my photos in no particular chronological order.

A kestrel taken from my pickup. I think this was on Eide Road.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A rough-legged hawk was perched in a tree near the DFW parking lot at the end of Eide Rd. .

IMG_0001.jpg

The bird was not shy and let me get out of my pickup to position myself for better light.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two red-tailed hawks were perched in a tree beside Eide Rd. I was shooting directly into the sun from the pickup and had to heavily tweak these photos.

The first hawk flew off.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

The second one remained and I was able to drive around for a shot with better light.

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I photographed several northern harriers from the pickup, but was unable to get close-ups like I did at the Edmonds marsh.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Female patrolling fields off Eide Rd.

03.jpg

04.jpg

This looks like a male at the Hayden DFW site. Females outnumber males about 4:1.

05.jpg

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have they done any more "restoration" to the Eide Road area? Looks like the road at least is still accessible...

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The road is accessible for now. I don't know what will happen when they breach the levee and I don't know when that will be. It is probably posted somewhere online.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com