First rufous of the year

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my first shots of a rufous hummer this year, enjoying some late afternoon sun near the Willapa Hills Trailhead in Chehalis...

MG_9550_crop_sm.jpg

MG_9555_crop_sm.jpg

MG_9562_crop_sm.jpg

Well, gee, not too shabby for your first attempt... Care to share some tips? How did you know where he'd be?

(I have never gotten anything this good, not even close! I'm happy when my eagle shots look that good, let alone these little guys!)

Last edited:
Well, gee, not too shabby for your first attempt... Care to share some tips? How did you know where he'd be?
(I have never gotten anything this good, not even close! I'm happy when my eagle shots look that good, let alone these little guys!)
Not my first time shooting hummers, Bob, just the first rufous I've gotten this year. I had no idea he'd be there, just spotted him flitting out of the corner of my eye, and got the lens on the area he was in. He'd flit to some blossoms, hover for a few seconds, then move on, but his hovering time was long enough to get a few pretty clear shots. Had to jack up the ISO a bit to get the shutter up to 1/2500 with a decent aperture, but in good light, 1600 isn't too bad with the 7DII...

One time, many years ago, we came across a field full of purple flowers, maybe fireweed, not sure. As we stopped to shoot the flowers, my wife said “what’s that buzzing sound?” It was hummingbirds, hundreds of them. Quite an amazing site. They were apparently migrating. We went back the next year, but never saw them again. We did get some shots, but our kit lenses and novice skills meant they were OK at best.

Yes, I am well aware of his ability to find and photograph birds. He used to shoot in Kirkland and get photos of wood ducks and eagles snatching fish on the fly. I’d go to the same park and see 3 mallards, a couple of geese and a blue heron 500 yards away...

But even knowing that, I’m still impressed with how he found just the right flower and pulled off what’s practically a macro shot. :)

LOL! Thanks, guys... Really, though, it's all just patience, and being observant. And in the right place... and...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back