Gear Review: MindShift Gear's FirstLight 30L Photo Pack

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

In the last couple months I've had some opportunities to test MindShift Gear's new line of photo packs aimed at outdoor "big lens" photographers. In this case, I was sent a review copy of the 30L, the mid-sized model in their new FirstLight series. I approached the review looking at the 30L both as a travel pack for the more casual nature photographer, and as a hiking pack for the more adventurous photographer who likes to hit the trail. I thought this may interest some of you wildlife shooters that may be looking for a bag that fits larger lenses.

Read the full review here.

Max

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Max: Thanks for the review. You mentioned the problem of packing the rigid plastic sunshade for your 4.0/500L telephoto lens. I have a possible solution for those who may not want to pack the sunshade in their checked luggage. My first large telephoto lens was a used second series Canon 2.8/400L that came without a sunshade. Rather than spend $$$ on a genuine Canon plastic sunshade, I bought a Comfy Cone.

The Comfy Cone is a collar put around a dog's head to prevent it from biting out stitches after surgery. The cones are made of a washable fabric and fold flat for packing in a photo pack. They can be purchased at pet stores and come in various sizes. Mine is a medium and fits the Canon 2.8/400L I used to own and the 4.0/500L I currently own.

Links
info
http://allfourpaws.com/files/?page_id=17

photos
http://allfourpaws.com/files/?page_id=9

Last edited:
LensCoat and AquaTech also make "flexible" lens hoods that can be packed flat. Probably a bit more expensive than the Comfy Cone though (in the $120-150 range). ;)

Max

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com