going for a vintage look

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

ejones

Working with a potential bride and hoped to get a vintage look. ???

IMG_0038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a strange mottling in the tone that I quite figure where that is coming from. At first I thought it had to do with the monitor but I switched monitors. Also, the "vintage" tone that you are using doesn't seem to fit the period of her dress and car. Sepia would be fine on a much older vehicle. I guess it's not working for me.

thanks for the input. After reading it I have to agree that either B&W or color would work better than the more sepia toned. the car is from 1965 so would be going for more of a faded color look I think.

I think the faded color look would be a nice choice and not that difficult to achieve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

E, Try a vintage vivid color look, you know, kinda yellowish post card affect. I'm thinking this may solve your dilemma. This approach is a throwback and it could cover several different eras, including the 60's.

I recently salvaged an image I took using an in-camera vivid setting. At first I was looking for pop in the sky and definition in the subject I was shooting. Ultimately the vivid affect in the blue sky looked wayyyyy over cooked but I liked the image, including the clouds. I sided for a throwback approach, tweaking RGB sliders,the gamma and contrast a little. Threw the RGB sliders for a yellowish affect and was happy with the end result.

This particular model of aircraft was decommissioned by the US Navy by 1974, if my memory serves me correct. This particular model was built for about a decade. So, The vintage look I chose, again covers a couple eras.

I know that there is a contrast between your portrait photo and the landscape shot I have but yeah, I think this approach can do you some justice.

What ever you decide on, I can't wait to see the end result.

Chad

5960142_orig.jpg

Have to be careful with that vintage look. It might be nice on an airplane but on a bride, maybe not so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'll mess with it again and post the results.

Yeah, if I were shooting her wedding it would be a totally different approach. But for just this messaging around shoot it's fair game.

Thanks for staying on top of this, J. I kinda forgot about this thread. Inquiring minds want to know! :D I'm really interested in seeing what E went with.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back