Gold-crowned kinglet

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has been been my nemesis bird for the last several years... I've tried unsuccessfully to get a decent shot of one, but to no avail. Today, while exploring Hawks Prairie Ponds in Lacey, I came across a flock of them flitting among the branches, but, as usual, I'd no sooner get one in focus than it would fly off, frustrating my best efforts. Then this one landed on a branch about 10 feet in front of me, and just SAT there! I'm quite sure that was in direct violation of one or more articles of the "Kinglet Kode of Konduct", but I gladly took advantage of the opportunity... had to focus manually, because there were too many branches in the way for the AF to work, but this little fella just chilled while I tried different angles, looking for the best shot through the intervening sticks... None are perfect, but this is one of my favorites... 400mm, 1/250 @ f/8, ISO 1600.

MG_5543_crop1_sm.jpg

Good shot. The goldies and their evil cousins, the rubies, are always mocking my efforts to photograph them.

Good shot. The goldies and their evil cousins, the rubies, are always mocking my efforts to photograph them.
Thanks! I think the goldies are actually worse... they're smaller, and they seem to be even bouncier than the rubies, if such a thing is possible!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back