Golden Eagle vs Elk - Caution, graphic nature image

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tony S

A few shots from a quick stop at the Oak Creek Wildlife Area as we were passing by on our way to visit our daughter who was in the hospital in Yakima.

First is one of a cow elk facing down a golden on the hillside. A face to face moment in nature...

395738894.jpg

The second is a golden eagle feeding on elk carcasses, some of the elk herd that have not made it through the winter. This is near one the elk feeding station and they moved the dead elk from where the rest of the animals are and let the scavengers and predators clean the area. This keeps the rest of the elk herd healthy and prevents any spread of disease.

395738893.jpg

Meanwhile in a nearby tree the bald eagle waits for it's turn. The goldens tthat were there are a bit larger and don't let these guys near until they are finished with what they want.

395738963.jpg

Even farther down the pecking order of who eats first is the eager red tailed hawk, sitting in a tree even farther away than the bald eagle.

395739086.jpg

AWESOME! Great stuff, Tony. That first shot is Nat. Geo worthy! So cool.

It's amazing to get some perspective as to the size of the golden eagle. Atop the elk carcass, it looks HUGE! Amazing, and a little scary.

I love that shot of the red-tailed hawk, as well. It contrasts so well with that birch/alder.

Very nice.

So, I'm not familiar with the Oak Creek Reserve. West of the Cascades I take it, so these are Roosevelt and not Rocky mountain elk, yes?

Wow! Good stuff. I was there on Sunday and just didn't have the lense power to get good shots. Took a walk up the access road and saw loads of elk and bighorn sheep. We were amazed at the size of the golden eagles, they seemed to dwarf the baldies. Again, great stuff!
Oak Creek East of White Pass, West of Yakima, near Naches, at the hwy 12/410 junction. Not Roosevelt elk. Sorry Tony for answering. I live in the area. Hope your daughter is OK.

Great shots indeed. I never get to see things like this. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or in the right place at the right time.

Hope all is well with your daughter.

good stuff, Tony! the goldens in these shots look like immature ones, but they still are big birds! don't see 'em often over in this area, but the ones i have seen are quite large. probably the biggest one i ever saw was in Alaska, out at Bristol Bay... that bird must've had a wingspan of at least 8 feet!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back